X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Mahler 6 Live from Vienna Feb 20

This coming Sunday, Feb 20, the Austrian Radio (ORF1) will be broadcasting a live performance of Mahler 6 from the Vienna Musikverein with Mariss Jansons and the VPO. The performance commences at 10:03 (our time) and if you miss it it will be available on their 7 Day listen again option.

Click on the 'live' button on Sunday here: http://oe1.orf.at/
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for to tip. On the page I found it seems to be Semyon Bychcov not Jansons and in Dolby 5.1 surround sound too.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

It was meant to be Jansons and was billed as such when I looked a fortnight ago but it looks as if Bychkov is standing in for him again. Not to be missed anyway.

To be honest, 10 o'clock on a Sunday morning is not the best time to I'd want to hear Mahler 6 but I shall do so nevertheless.

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Did anyone listen, I downloaded it (good sound) but have only had time to listen to the opening of the first movt.
        It'll be interesting to compare with the recent excellent BBCSO performance.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Do they have an iPlayer facility?

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
            Did anyone listen, I downloaded it (good sound) but have only had time to listen to the opening of the first movt.
            It'll be interesting to compare with the recent excellent BBCSO performance.
            Disappointingly, due to a minor technical hiccup I was unable to catch the concert live but I caught it on the ORF version of the i-player this evening. Superb sound, playing and conducting and I will be playing this one often. The VPO in Mahler in simply wonderful.

Incidentally, I'm surprised that this has excited such little comment on here on what is, after all, a message board devoted to classical music albeit with an interest in BBC Radio 3. I would have expected a few members would have wanted to try this out especially the more techie types but it seems people are more interested in the sillier threads over on Platform 3. A pity. Anyone who wants to hear this can do so on the ORF website which is a doddle to navigate even if you don't have much German. The next live concert from Vienna is on March 20 when Barenboim conducts Schoenberg's Pelleas und Melisande.

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

I recorded it using Audacity not realising that an iplayer-type version would be available. From a very brief excerpt, I particularly liked the sound of the strings, cellos especially and there's plenty of woodwind and brass detail audible.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                Do they have an iPlayer facility?
                Yes and as I say, it's a doddle to navigate http://oe1.orf.at/

Just click on '7 Tage O1' top right, click on the appropriate day ('So' for Sonntag or 'Heute' for today if it still is) then scroll down to Matinee Live at 11:03. Click on the arrow and enjoy.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  Yes and as I say, it's a doddle to navigate http://oe1.orf.at/

Just click on '7 Tage O1' top right, click on the appropriate day ('So' for Sonntag or 'Heute' for today if it still is) then scroll down to Matinee Live at 11:03. Click on the arrow and enjoy.
                  Many thanks for all this information, Petrushka.

Yet another wonderful music service from European radio stations

Are there enough hours in the day, though?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Vielen dank, PG. The VPO in Mahler is a great way to start a very dreich Scottish Monday.

Comment

Working...
                    X