X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Wigmore Hall concerts on Sky Arts 2

The Wigmore Hall seems to be forging ever closer links with Sky Arts. After the Rosenblatt recital series, we now have a fresh set of concerts coming up, starting on 12 August with Marc Andre Hamelin paying Brahms. A real highlight for me will be the 19th August, when the Takacs Quartet with Ralph Kirshbaum perform the Schubert Quintet.

Full details here:-

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

There isn't any way of just having Sky Arts, is there? It has to be a whole package, which I don't want, tempting as programmes like these are.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

I had a dream ... of such chamber music concerts on BBC Two (yes, Two)
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Wallace

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        And I had a bad dream - edited highlights introduced by Katie Derham.

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
          There isn't any way of just having Sky Arts, is there? It has to be a whole package, which I don't want, tempting as programmes like these are.
          Mary, you can opt for a fairly basic package which includes Sky Arts but excludes sports, films, other premium channels.

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Wallace View Post
            And I had a bad dream - edited highlights introduced by Katie Derham.
            Yes she does seem to be ubiquitous these days, doesn't she? I think she's part of a BBC conspiracy to get what remains of the classical music audience to turn off completely so that the BBC can shut the whole thing down. Her ignorance knows no bounds. Yesterday, she tweeted about her part in a documentary on John Ogdon with Peter Donahoe (sic).
            Last edited by Sir Velo; 08-08-13, 07:45.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
              Mary, you can opt for a fairly basic package which includes Sky Arts but excludes sports, films, other premium channels.
              That's what I did when I first subscribed to what was then called Artsworld (the original Jeremy Isaacs version of what is now Sky Arts.) It was possible to have a very basic package of channels (virtually the main five channels + Sky News) and pay another £6 per month for Artsworld. Sky Arts is not an add-on channel and now you need the most basic bundle of channels, which is, I think, £21 a month.

In the early days I just used Sky as a very convenient way to watch the terrestrial channels (so really for the method of reception rather than the programming.) - plus Artsworld. Now, despite the many channels available, most of my viewing is still the main channels plus Sky Arts, Sky Atlantic , Sky News and BBC4. It's just very convenient to see them all through the satellite and Sky box. I would never get drawn in to all the sports business, which is where the serious expense builds up.

Thinking of the costs, £21 is quite reasonable - just over £5 a week. The box, dish and installation are usually free or heavily subsidised for new customers.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                The coverage of the recent recitals from the Wigmore Hall had no editing, no excessive introductions or Katie D links and no-one telling us at the end how wonderful it had been. Just a filmed version of a recital - as if one had been there. Nothing original about that - but so refreshing to have the music without the tinkering.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc;

Thinking of the costs, £21 is quite reasonable - just over £5 a week. The box, dish and installation are usually free or heavily subsidised for new customers.
                  Dish? I can't have a dish. They're so ugly! I agree it is not very expensive, but I often look to see what's available on Sky Arts and there is not often anything I really want to see. I'll keep looking, and perhaps I'll change my mind eventually. I have an inbuilt prejudice against Sky, though.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

Dish? I can't have a dish. They're so ugly! I agree it is not very expensive, but I often look to see what's available on Sky Arts and there is not often anything I really want to see. I'll keep looking, and perhaps I'll change my mind eventually. I have an inbuilt prejudice against Sky, though.
                    Mary, you don't need a dish! Cable should be available where you live.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I can (just) remember the arrival of ITV, when the H-shaped BBC aerial had to be supplemented with a huge ITV aerial. "They're so ugly" everyone said! Depending on which way your house points, a Sky dish can often be hidden very successfully.

Is the inbuilt prejudice which some people still seem to have against Sky the same as the one which 1950s people had against ITV?

Comment

• Sir Velo
                        • Oct 2012

You can watch Sky Arts without needing a Sky dish. I'm a Virgin Media customer (not entirely through choice ) and watch Sky Arts on a cable platform. SkyArts can also be seen through any other cable provider and Freeview.

VodkaDilc is obviously on commision to sell Sky dishes!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

SkyArts can also be seen through ...Freeview.
                          I don't think so... If so, please do tell me how!
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• VodkaDilc

You can watch Sky Arts without needing a Sky dish. I'm a Virgin Media customer (not entirely through choice ) and watch Sky Arts on a cable platform. SkyArts can also be seen through any other cable provider and Freeview.

VodkaDilc is obviously on commision to sell Sky dishes!
                            Not at all. Just a very satisfied customer.

Comment

• verismissimo
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                              Is the inbuilt prejudice which some people still seem to have against Sky the same as the one which 1950s people had against ITV?
                              As I recall, the prejudice against ITV was preceded by the prejudice against TV itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X