Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Monty

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
    Gosh, thank you UM, I didn't know about this. The reviewer of Where Hope is Shining by the The Joyful Company of Singers on Amazon appears to agree with you:
    "But the real jewel of the disc comes toward the end, in the form of Vaughan Williams' choral setting The New Commonwealth, described with masterly English understatement in Stephen Connock's notes as "remarkably moving". I was familiar with the tune - it had been used in the Prelude to the wartime film 49th Parallel - but I was unprepared for the sheer power and beauty of the vocal arrangement of this "glorious, noble, hymn-like melody". A very secular hymn, written to convey a message of hope in a grim post-war world. I defy anyone to listen to it without dissolving, and without being haunted by its wonderful words and music."

Right, that's now been ordered!

Er, I'm afraid I actually wrote that review in another incarnation! (And nice to know I agree with myself.) I thought I'd better 'fess up, though I was tempted to wait to see whether you like it or not when it arrives

Comment

• Osborn

Opening of 3rd movt of LvB 9 exquisitely played in a large packed hall with the whole audience absolutely silent.

Tristan Liebestod live if the conductor cradles the singer and voice and orchestra are as one. I find Meier or Stemme under Barenboim or Mehta far more moving than Birgit N et al

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Uncle Monty View Post
        Er, I'm afraid I actually wrote that review in another incarnation! (And nice to know I agree with myself.) I thought I'd better 'fess up, though I was tempted to wait to see whether you like it or not when it arrives
        I had a vague inkling that might have been your review, UM! I couldn't wait for the CD to arrive, so I downloaded the piece from Albion's excellent website and have been bathing in it ever since. (Have managed to refrain from blubbing though). Do you know anywhere I can find the words online?

Comment

• AjAjAjH
          • Nov 2010

I have never watched 'La Boheme' without being in tears at the end.

The slow movement of Elgar's 2nd Symphony and his 'Sospiri'.

Many years ago, I attended a 'prom' performance of Berlioz 'Grande Messes des Morte' conducted at short notice by the wonderful George Hurst. A number of times during the performance, the tears were running down my face.

Mrs AjAjAjH is always in tears at the end of Mahler 2 and 3.

Comment

• Uncle Monty

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
            I had a vague inkling that might have been your review, UM! I couldn't wait for the CD to arrive, so I downloaded the piece from Albion's excellent website and have been bathing in it ever since. (Have managed to refrain from blubbing though). Do you know anywhere I can find the words online?
            I'm surprised to see that the words aren't on the Albion website -- they're in the cd booklet. I'll PM you

Comment

Working...
            X