X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

BBC Concert Orchestra VW5

A serendipitous moment on coming out of a shop today jumping into the car and switching on to hear the Concert Orchestra's lovely performance of this great symphony. Congrats to all concerned.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Yes, it was a wonderful surprise.

Comment

• Roehre

I only listened to the last two movements as I planned to listen to JHarrison, Foulds and Bainton.
      A nice performance, and a nice extra as well. Never heard that Britten arrangement before.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Has anyone caiught this afternoon's performance by the BBC Concert Orchestra of York Bowen's Symphonic Fantaisia?
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          Has anyone caiught this afternoon's performance by the BBC Concert Orchestra of York Bowen's Symphonic Fantaisia?
          Yes. And though it was more "modern" in its scope (with influences by Richard Strauss, Stanford and Parry), I for one moment thought that it might be a work which inspired Parry for his Fifth symphony (from 5 years later, 1912), which essentially has the same 4-in-1-construction, and a similar overall "feeling" if you like.
          Less forwardlooking than later works by Bowen, but I like it. I am thinking of ordering the Dutton CD from which this performance stems.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I should think, Roehre, it will be worth making a comment about this when you receive this cd!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
            X