X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magic_Stag
    • Sep 2024

BBC SSO concert review 27th Jan 2011

On Thursday night, City Halls, Glasgow, was only two thirds full for a most amazing concert. The audience was intelligent, the venue had a very good acoustic, no echo and a lot of clarity.

The concert opened with an intimate rendition of Bach’s A minor Violin concerto, the chamber like resonances of City Hall picked up the energy and verve of this piece. The pathos of the slow movement’s ostinato bass was especially affecting.

The main draw of the evening was Bruckner’s 5th Symphony. The young Russian conductor Ilan Volkov, had a very clear conducting style which pulled out the lines of the fugal entries in the last movement of the Bruckner.

The 1st movement did not have much warmth, as if the music was groping its way to expression. This was quite a cold, desolate reading reflecting the music itself. I feel Volkov milked the 2nd appearance of the descending pizzicato chord passage (bars 247 etc), the halo of gossamer strings was a bit too sickly for my tastes. The dryness of the acoustic tempered some of the schmaltz.

The 2nd movement was well played, the desolate world-weary oboe melody was well brought out. Such strange, spectral sounds! At times Bruckner came across as original as Berlioz, as alienated as Mahler, totally engaging at this slow, patient pace.

The 3rd movement had tremendous character and “schwung” in the Landler. A kaleidoscope of bucolic associations.

The 4th Movement was well paced moving towards the final climaxes. The brass and strings produced a warm buttery sound, typical of his “gesangsperiode” 2nd subjects, havens of stillness and calm beauty amidst the battle. Volkov brought out the strange, obssesive quality of this very familiar piece. Pity he only got 3 ovations from the audience!
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

M_S, his ancestry may be Russian (Ukrainian, actually), but Ilan was born in Tel Aviv. Thank goodness his connection with the BBCSSO is continuing.

[Oops, sorry, forgot about his mother's side of the equation. Her family heritage is German.]
    Last edited by Bryn; 07-02-11, 12:30. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Thank goodness his connection with the BBCSSO is continuing.
      I agree, though at one point he could hardly wait to be shot of them. Happily there has been a rapprochement.

Comment

• Magic_Stag

Bryn: Sorry, back of my mind, I knew he was Israeli national.
        Curalach: What was the disagreement about, I never knew this. It's the BBC SSO 75 year so we should celebrate!

Comment

• RobertLeDiable

There was a period, quite some time ago, when there was apparently quite a lot of tension between Volkov and the orchestra. However that passed and I'm told they love him again! It often happens between conductors and orchestras, as in marriages. One hears that Jurowski is not at all liked by the LPO and, back in Scotland, that the RSNO players didn't want Deneve's contract renewed because they were fed up with him.

Comment

• Curalach

M_S, Robert is right. It was around the time that Volkov first became a father and cancelled quite a lot.
            Some of the RSNO players criticize Deneve for "talking too much and wasting time", a heinous crime for most British orchestral musicians.
            They do respect him as a musician and recognise that he has built a strong relationship with the audience.

Comment

Working...
            X