X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Berg's 7 Early Songs

I caught this on the radio on today's Afternoon on 3: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b020vq35

New works for me. I'm currently listening to Abbado/VPO/von Otter in these songs.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Yes, they're... quite good, really, but not a patch on the Altenberg Lieder Op.4 - a song-cycle really, more concise, more intense, the compositional technique greatly advanced over those early efforts. Go seek those out, it should be a memorable encounter. Makes me want to play them now.

(Banse/Abbado/VPO is fine, but there's a terrific alternative on Arte Nova with Gielen/SWR/Vlatka Orsanic)

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Yes, they're... quite good, really, but not a patch on the Altenberg Lieder Op.4 - a song-cycle really, more concise, more intense, the compositional technique greatly advanced over those early efforts. Go seek those out, it should be a memorable encounter. Makes me want to play them now.

(Banse/Abbado/VPO is fine, but there's a terrific alternative on Arte Nova with Gielen/SWR/Vlatka Orsanic)
      Definitely agree Jayne

I have the Sinopoli, Dresden, Alessandra Marc and the already mentioned Abbado/Price.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

I thought Ruby Hughes was excellent (as always!)

We have a shoe shop in Edinburgh called. 'Ooh, Ruby Shoes'. I wish I could bring them together so we could have Ruby Hughes at Ruby Shoes...

Just a thought

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

We have a shoe shop in Edinburgh called. 'Ooh, Ruby Shoes'. I wish I could bring them together so we could have Ruby Hughes at Ruby Shoes...

Just a thought
          Thanks for commenting on the performance in question, pg. I was hoping someone would, which was why I posted it under 'Performace' not 'CD Review'. I expect your dream will be realised on a ruby Tuesday.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

Just a thought
            An outstanding thought, pastoralguy

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
              Thanks for commenting on the performance in question, pg. I was hoping someone would, which was why I posted it under 'Performace' not 'CD Review'. I expect your dream will be realised on a ruby Tuesday.
              I was driving my wife to B&Q At the time and I got to thinking how a singer would go about learning all those unpredictable intervals. I had a theory that one could divorce the intervals from the words and rhythm and simply learn the 'tune' as a series of crotchets. Once that had been assimilated then the rhythm could be added with the words coming last!

I remember trying something similar many years ago with a very odd passage in the first movt. of Scriabin's second symphony where I never seemed to end on the correct note.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Thanks for highlighting this performance, Thropple - it was very well performed by the orchestra and soloist: "lighter" than the Abbado/von Otter recordings (which are loin-meltingly gorgeous) but none-the-worse for that. Anyone who doesn't know these songs, but who loves Mahler, Wolf and/or the First Part of Gurrelieder should find them ravishing. (They may well appeal to aficionadi of Duparc or Chausson, also). Well programmed, too - coming after Britten's Simple Symphony; another work based on Music written before their composer became their composer!

Yes, the Altenberglieder are better compositions, but these are lovely and the performance thoroughly enjoyable. I wonder, if the singer ever attempts any "crossover" material? If so, we might hear Ruby Hughes in her Ruby Shoes singing Ruby Tuesday.

Gosh! I have a coat just like that one.

Oh.

I see ...
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Thanks for highlighting this performance, Thropple - it was very well performed by the orchestra and soloist: "lighter" than the Abbado/von Otter recordings (which are loin-meltingly gorgeous) but none-the-worse for that. Anyone who doesn't know these songs, but who loves Mahler, Wolf and/or the First Part of Gurrelieder should find them ravishing. (They may well appeal to aficionadi of Duparc or Chausson, also). Well programmed, too - coming after Britten's Simple Symphony; another work based on Music written before their composer became their composer!

Yes, the Altenberglieder are better compositions, but these are lovely and the performance thoroughly enjoyable. I wonder, if the singer ever attempts any "crossover" material? If so, we might hear Ruby Hughes in her Ruby Shoes singing Ruby Tuesday.

Gosh! I have a coat just like that one.

Oh.

I see ...

A nice summation, especially for those what don't know nuffink (well, not much) about Berg. I am edging my way into the 2nd Viennese School and really enjoying the connection between Late Romanticism and Early Modernism in Berg, Mahler, Schoenberg. That's what struck me about these songs, which were all too swiftly swatted away like an irritating gnat by JLW in favour of the later, 'better' works. These songs begin to straddle the yawning abyss between what was and what will come - one hears cabaret in them. Well, I do. A bit. And not in a bad way, either.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                    That's what struck me about these songs, which were all too swiftly swatted away like an irritating gnat by JLW in favour of the later, 'better' works.
                    I'm surprised by that reaction. There are wonderfully seductive half lights to these songs with their adumbration of the world of Erwartung and echoes of Pelleas and Wesendonck with their youthful hothouse charm.

Currently enjoying Norman's stunning vocal acrobatics and plush warmth, c/w Berg's miscellaneous, exuberant Jugendlieder, his peches de sa jeunesse.

Comment

Working...
                    X