X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    Sounds like a great evening! I always think I am in the wrong part of the country!
    Hiya Brassbandmaestro,

Within a few dozen miles of each other we have the Halle/Sir Mark Elder, BBC Philharmonic/Juanjo Mena, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic/Vasily Petrenko and the Manchester Camerata/Gábor Takács-Nagy (who comprise of players from these orchestras and other top orchestras). In the last 4 years I have heard virtually all of the world’s elite orchestras more than once so I have experienced what excellence sounds like. Whilst I am not placing them in the came category as say the Concertgebouw or Vienna Philharmonic or Berliner Philharmoniker under their inspirational chief conductors the Halle, BBC Phil and Liverpool Phil are in excellent condition. In my view there is not one London orchestra who is playing consistently better.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      Hiya Brassbandmaestro,

Within a few dozen miles of each other we have the Halle/Sir Mark Elder, BBC Philharmonic/Juanjo Mena, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic/Vasily Petrenko and the Manchester Camerata/Gábor Takács-Nagy (who comprise of players from these orchestras and other top orchestras). In the last 4 years I have heard virtually all of the world’s elite orchestras more than once so I have experienced what excellence sounds like. Whilst I am not placing them in the came category as say the Concertgebouw or Vienna Philharmonic or Berliner Philharmoniker under their inspirational chief conductors the Halle, BBC Phil and Liverpool Phil are in excellent condition. In my view there is not one London orchestra who is playing consistently better.
      OK, don't rub it in.
      i suppose houses are cheap, and the footy teams win all the trophies too ...............
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        Hiya Brassbandmaestro,

Trouble is Stan can't find the time,one concert every two years is not enough,especially when they are as good as Thursdays (despite Mrs ER's thoughts,crash,bang wallop indeed).

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          one concert every two years is not enough,especially when they are as good as Thursdays
          Spare a thought for us in darkest Cornwall with no concert hall big enough for a full symphony orchestra. All we get down here in the (small) Hall for Cornwall in Truro is chamber orch's (though I think the blessed Bournemouth SO is making/ has made a return).

Only chance of large orchestral works is the St Endellion Festival where the orch packs somehow into a lovely but not big church, and the audience gets wedged in round it. The larger the work the smaller the audience. I'm waiting anxiously for their Mahler 8 - just hope I'll get the one audience seat
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• AjAjAjH
            • Nov 2010

I was there on Thursday too. A wonderful concert.
            Someone asks if Junjo Mena is special. In my humble opinion - yes he is. His Bruckner is special and his performance of Mahler 2 was by far the best I have ever heard - and I have heard some very special performances.
            I agree that we are blest with our Manchester Orchestras and their inspirational conductors. Looking forward to next season's Halle programmes which will be available on line next Monday

Comment

Working...
            X