• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Performance on3 Monday 31st

Yan Pascal Tortelier conducts the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra in "Dreaming by the Fireside" by Strauss, Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto with James Ehnes and Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev

I thoroughly enjoyed this concert. It was a kind of concert that makes me wish I were there.

Any erudite comments?
  • Threni

Just downloaded the Medici iPhone app onto my iPad. Works very well can enlarge the screen and it doesn't loose quaty unlike other apps and it allows you to watch all the free concerts. Doesn't seem to let you sign into your account though, although I haven't subscribed I only ever watch the free stuff

So just discovering some things I might watch later in the week. Far easier to navigate than the daft medici website which is too technical for me!

Other than that continuing with Bernstein and his symphony box.

Shostakovich: Symphonies no. 1, 6, 5, 9
    NYPO/Bernstein

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
      Any erudite comments?
      No, except that James Ehnes is always worth a detour.

Now I've belatedly checked the programme at the Colston Hall, they were playing this programme the day after they performed it at the Lighthouse i.e. last Thursday. What a prune!
      Last edited by french frank; 31-01-11, 23:16.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

I came in on Juliet getting ready to go to the pub. Missed the numbers before that. Was it the famous Apprentice theme that Prokofiev shamelessly nicked?
        If so, why is this always played in the wrong place in the suite/ excerpts? Surely it belongs to Masks and all of that!?

Oh and another thing. On the suite/ excerpts they miss out that loud dramatic chord that ends the first fight scene. That’s a shame.

(Listen carefully to Romeo and Juliet and you will hear the thudding of Symphony no.6 finale! Not to mention the theme tune to Dallas that Prokofiev shamelessly nicked etc etc and so on…)

3VS

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

I heard the Romeo & Juliet - as a work portraying a great romantic tragedy (notwithstanding the happy ending that was forced onto the ballet) it doesn't convince me - rather too energetic, as if Prokofiev (& the choreographer) was more interested in the various fights & physical conflicts (more interesting to choreograph?) than what happens to Romeo & Juliet.

(Threni, is your post in the wrong thread? was it supposed to be in Mahlerei's thread, or 'What I'm listening to now'? )

Comment

• kuligin
            • Nov 2010

I also only caught part of this concert and missed the Prokofiev entirely. I thought the programme was rather safe, but that been said Ehnes was very good in the Tchaikovsky in so far as you can judge from a car radio. The begining of the concert was yet again spoilt by too much chat much of which was not germane to the concert in hand. The ratio of chat to music was such that I just kept saying to myself, please get on with it! The Strauss was an odd choice too, the orchestral interludes from Intermezzo do not make a great deal of sense in isolation.

I see Scottish Opera are performing the Opera , the first performance in the UK for many years, I hope that is broadcast .

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kuligin View Post
              I see Scottish Opera are performing the Opera , the first performance in the UK for many years, I hope that is broadcast .
              Unfortunately BBC Scotland doesn't seem to be interested in recording SO productions, & I don't remember BBC UK doing so. It might be because the latter doesn't tread on the former's turf (although there doesn't seem to be a problem at the Edinburgh Festival), or because they don't think that the performances will be good enough for national broadcast. No doubt Curalach or Mangerston will know - they seem to have their fingers on the pulse of what goes on here.

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by kuligin View Post
                Can you clarify for me which opera you are referring to?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                  Can you clarify for me which opera you are referring to?
                  I think it's yer actual Intermezzo by Richard Strauss, innit

Sorry, we couldn't find the page you were looking for. Please try again from the homepage or use the navigation to find what you're looking for.

Interesting-looking recording of a 'live' performance in English on Chandos:

Elisabeth Söderström is devastating in the lead role, but otherwise Strauss's bittersweet portrait of marital strain is a bit of a mixed bag here, writes Tim Ashley

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    I think it's yer actual Intermezzo by Richard Strauss, innit
                    That's what I thought. I was a bit thrown by the various references to R&J.

Comment

• Threni

Originally posted by Threni View Post
                      Just downloaded the Medici iPhone app onto my iPad. Works very well can enlarge the screen and it doesn't loose quaty unlike other apps and it allows you to watch all the free concerts. Doesn't seem to let you sign into your account though, although I haven't subscribed I only ever watch the free stuff
                      Sorry just realised wrong thread! Thought I posted about Medici and couldn't find it in what are you listening to, no wonder!

Comment

Working...
                      X