• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

BBCSO/ANDREW DAVIS/LIVE R3/FRIDAY 19:30hrs 12/04/13 - TIPPETT symphony no.4

Uneventful week wasn't it?

Well here's something to get worked up about - a LIVE ORCHESTRAL RELAY on R3, featuring some NEW AND RARELY HEARD music. Shock and awe!

JONATHAN LLOYD: OLD RACKET (1ST PERFORMANCE)
    BRAHMS: PIANO CONCERTO NO.1 in Dminor (Stephen Hough)
    TIPPETT: SYMPHONY NO.4

Perhaps it's a pity there's such a substantial, potentially exhausting, concerto in part 1 - might a Mendelssohn or Bartok one have been more apt?
    But the craggy depths of Brahms' D Minor ("it is like an Eleison" said Clara Schumann of the adagio) may chime with the birth-to-death narrative of the Tippett 4th Symphony. Do at least try to catch the latter in this rare live account.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Never mind the concert "balance". Brahms' D minor is one of my absolute favourites amonst great piano concertos.
    And the Jonathan Lloyd too. That will surely be interesting.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Yes, plenty of interest tonight. You never quite know what you're going to get with Houghy (phenomenal pianism or fistfuls of wrong notes) while Sir Andrew has always been a leading Tippett interpreter.

These BBCSO live Friday relays have surely been high points of the schedule this season. The orchestra seems to be playing so much better these days while the programming has been consistently fresh and even unfashionable.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        Yes, plenty of interest tonight. You never quite know what you're going to get with Houghy (phenomenal pianism or fistfuls of wrong notes) ...
        I got put off the Brahms 1st Piano Concerto for quite some time by what I thought was a truly dire performance by none other than Brendel (it was a Prom, back in the '70 I think). I still tend to avoid the work in favour of the 2nd Piano Concerto. I might risk a listen to tonight's performance, however.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I got put off the Brahms 1st Piano Concerto for quite some time by what I thought was a truly dire performance by none other than Brendel (it was a Prom, back in the '70 I think). I still tend to avoid the work in favour of the 2nd Piano Concerto. I might risk a listen to tonight's performance, however.
          I suspect Leon Fleisher's account with Szell/Cleveland Orchestra might convince you of its worth.
          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
            I suspect Leon Fleisher's account with Szell/Cleveland Orchestra might convince you of its worth.
            A recording which I am currently awaiting delivery of, having ordered it a couple of days ago. I don't so much need convincing of its worth as to clear the painful memory of that Brendel 'off-night'. I tend to relive the horrors of that evening whenever I hear the work.

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              Perhaps it's a pity there's such a substantial, potentially exhausting, concerto in part 1 - might a Mendelssohn or Bartok one have been more apt?
              We would have had very short measure for a concert in that case - maybe 60-65 mins! AFAIK, Brahms did not sanction any cuts to the concerto so not sure whether you are saying that this concerto should never be programmed, or that it should only be performed as part 2?

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Brendel never convinced me in the Brahms concerti, sounding awkward and a shade insipid. Albert Hall not his best acoustic either. I know some rate his performances with Abbado as those of a lifetime.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Brendel never convinced me in the Brahms concerti, sounding awkward and a shade insipid. Albert Hall not his best acoustic either. I know some rate his performances with Abbado as those of a lifetime.
                  I do just happen to have the 1989 Hough/BBCSO/Davis recording to hand. Perhaps I might give it a spin in advance of tonight's performance.

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

I was considering a cheap download of the same!
                    After a bruising and busy week the musical appetite seems bigger than normal : bring it on !

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Count me amongst the "some" .

"Brendel in Brahms Concerti 'Awkward and a shade insipid'"? That's like calling Justin Bieber a "great R&B performer"!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

I recall a Brendel performance of Brahms piano concerto no 1 with Tennstedt at the Proms that blew my socks off There was a performance of Beethoven symphony no 5 to follow too

Laurie Watt are you reading this?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

I am not sure JLW that pianists would agree that the D Minor is not exhausting !

I will skip as I am allergic to Andrew Davis's conducting.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            I recall a Brendel performance of Brahms piano concerto no 1 with Tennstedt at the Proms that blew my socks off There was a performance of Beethoven symphony no 5 to follow too

The one I attended was, I think, the 1968 one with Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt at the helm.

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

The Beethoven 5 is on Bbc legends. I rate Brendel very highly indeed in other parts of the repertoire and his Brahms have long been a blind spot. Perhaps I just wanted him to have a 'bigger' technique.

Comment

Working...
                              X