• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Margaret Price - RIP

This is tremendously sad news:
    Dame Margaret Price, who was considered one of the world's leading sopranos, dies at the age of 69.

A truly great singer in my experience of her.

I'm abroad at the moment so this news is perhaps already familiar back in Britain. Apologies if that is so.

RIP Dame Margaret. You will be sorely missed.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Very sad news indeed, and - for musicians these days - at a very early age.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

A great singer indeed. I hope that R3 will programme some of her recitals in tribute.

Comment

• Roehre

A real loss.
        RIP Dame Margaret.

I'll never forget the very first time I heard her live, performing Berg's Altenberglieder.
        Last edited by Guest; 29-01-11, 16:42.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

O, Ive only just seen this. Indeed, a really sad lost to the musical world. RIP Dame Margeret Price
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• StephenO

Very sad news. A true "dame", a wonderful singer and an outstanding Pamina and Ariadne.

RIP.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

A wonderful lady. Forty years ago I was involved with a small group running a local Oxfam shop. This was before Oxfam had a high professional profile, it was just a jumble shop really. Margaret Price used to come into the shop, and offered us a fund raising recital with her husband James Lockhart at the piano, and even helped us to organise the venue and publicity, all at no cost to us.
              This was of course early in her singing career, and I have never forgotten her generosity, this is sad news indeed.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

So sad. Margaret Price is the most beautiful voice I have ever heard. I was lucky enough to first hear her when I sang in the chorus for a Verdi Requiem. A couple of years later I saw her in "Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail" with Glyndebourne at the Proms. Here is a deightful interview she gave with Edward Seckerson at the Wigmore Hall:

It deals particularly with the obstructions Solti put in front of her progress and her cautious approach to roles.

Off stage Margaret Price was a saintly figure. Her career was short because when her parents died she devoted much of her time to looking after her severely disabled sister.

Comment

• Cellini

I must have worked with her and I certainly played under James Lockhart as a conductor. A long time ago though - I'm talking 40 years plus ... (I was very young at the time - still kindergarten age ...)

A sad loss. It's happening too often these days.

Interesting interview, she was certainly quite a character. I liked her comments about condutors ... pity about Mr Seckerson ...
                  Last edited by Guest; 29-01-11, 18:27.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

I first heard her at my first concert in a London venue. I think it was in October 1968, and the concert included Bruckner's Te Deum. My favourite recording of her is Elgar's The Kingdom.

I read somewhere that she enjoyed driving fast cars.

Comment

• verismissimo
                      • Nov 2010

One of the greatest. Listening now to her wonderful Liszt - Tre Sonetti di Petrarca. Irreplaceable.

Comment

• Pianorak
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                        . . . her husband James Lockhart . . .
                        Are you sure he was her husband?

EA: Thanks for posting that link!
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Cellini

I always understood they were an item.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

What a wonderful interview. Only heard her live once, but that was unfogettable - LSO/Leinsdorf in the RFH, she sang Shepherd on the Rock with Brymer and Leinsdorf at the piano, sandwiched between Schubert 8 and Mahler 4.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Is it not so often the case that one " catches up " with an artist when their death is announced.

I have had limited exposure to her singing - albeit the marvellous Kleiber Tristan and the Schubert song with clarinet - Der Hirt auf dem Felsen .

So a few days ago - I bought her Mozart arias recital on RCA - what breathtakingly beautiful singing . In the Janowitz and Jurinac class .

RIP
                              Last edited by Barbirollians; 10-03-11, 00:41.

Comment

Working...
                              X