• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

For Pi-Anoraks

R3 Wed 2 Feb 1pm - Lunchtime Concert

Lucas Vondracek (piano)
    "featuring music written by European composers in America".
    Rachmaninov - Dvorak - Dohnanyi - Martinu - Prokofiev.

R3 Wed 2 Feb 7pm

Mozart piano concerto No. 16 in D, K451 (Lars Vogt)

6am this morning: Beethoven 32 Variations in c minor. Played by one Irena Kobek (sp.?). Beautiful and delicate playing, very little pedal, making a modern grand almost sound like a period instrument. Name probably misspelt as Google hasn't heard of her.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Irena Kobla / Koblar?

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
      6am this morning: Beethoven 32 Variations in c minor. Played by one Irena Kobek (sp.?). Beautiful and delicate playing, very little pedal, making a modern grand almost sound like a period instrument. Name probably misspelt as Google hasn't heard of her.
      I suspect it was Irena Koblar

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Irena Koblar it is. Thanks, vinteuil and Panjandrum.
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Peter Katin
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          Irena Kobla / Koblar?
          Yes, Irena Koblar. Apparently a wonderful Scarlatti player.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

When I first noticed this thread's title I thought it was going to be about the on-gong calculation of π.

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Could I ask other boarders if they ever came across Reine Gianoli in recital, concert or on record? I have to confess to complete ignorance of her until I came across her name in a discussion of Schumann.
              She had a fine musical pedigree according to the short article in Wikipedia and I can quite understand why her complete recording of Schumann's piano works received a Grand Prix du Disque in the seventies, as I've just bought a cd containing Carnival, Waldszenen, the Arabesque and a carelessly transferred Kinderszenen that duplicates one piece and omits another - no hobby horse. Nonetheless its a lovely record and the performances are very enjoyable if not in the highest quality sound.

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

Bryn - It had vaguely occurred to me - but then I thought hmm, they'll soon find out!
                Gradus - I came across her name very, very recently, possibly even yesterday - but blow me if I can remember the context.

Gradus: Found her: Mendelssohn Piano Concertos nos. 1 and 2 with Vienna State Opera Orchestra cond. Milan Horvat. Got the LP World Record Club TP 364.
                Unfortunately turntable drive belt has just snapped - so unable to comment right now.
                Last edited by Pianorak; 27-01-11, 17:21.

Comment

• gradus
                  • Nov 2010

The old Erard straight-strung grand played by Daniel Grimwood in the comparison of the Years of Pilgrimage on BAL this morning made me sit up and listen both for its tuning and the pleasing sound (and fine playing).
                  Many of the other pianos sounded (to me) too hard-edged in loud passages by comparison (the recordings?) and it made a pleasant change to hear a piano that was still capable of producing aural fireworks by different means; perhaps advances in piano technology aren't an unmixed blessing. Thanks to DON for including the performance.

Comment

Working...
                  X