X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Curalach
    • Jul 2024

RSAMD Vixen

I assume that the RSAMD performances are part of the students' 'exams' - so I wonder how they are assessed? During a public performance, or dress rehearsals, or what? I would have thought that the RSAMD theatre would be a much more congenial place to be assessed in.
    My understanding is that in the Opera School the students are continually assessed as they develop. The performances with ScotOp are not seen as an exam but are intended to give the students exposure to the pressures that they will face once they join the profession. All valuable experience.
    Three of last year's graduates have become part of the ScotOp Emerging Artist programme and two were singing on Friday (Fox and Vixen).

It was good to see also the co-operation with Scottish Ballet and the students from the new Dance course participating in the production.

In fact, all departments including Technical, Make-up, Costumes and Orchestra benefit from working with and being mentored by the SO professionals.

There was some press speculation that this would be the last of these RSAMD/SO collaborations but this was firmly squashed on Friday by both John Wallace and Alex Reedijk. I don't know yet what is being planned for next year.

The next in-house production is Albert Herring and in February the Academy Symphony Orchestra is performing Mahler 6 with David Danzmayr.
    It's a busy place the RSAMD.
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for that Curalach (& starting a new thread). I hope that the collaborations between the RSAMD & Scottish Opera & the Scottish Ballet do continue; it must be incredibly valuable for the students, & the emerging artists scheme for the Opera.

Looking forward to Albert Herring - I assume this will be the same production as before, which was excellent. & I must make sure I go to the Mahler.

Did you see the Epic of Gilgamesh, in Edwin Morgan's translation last year? Well done, & more entertaining than I would have thought!

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      Did you see the Epic of Gilgamesh, in Edwin Morgan's translation last year?
      Unfortunately not. It was very well received.

Speaking to people who attended Saturday's Vixen it seems that the balance problem was not in evidence. It was the alternate cast of principals and perhaps with the benefit of feedback to the pit.
      Tumelty has given it a good review in the Herald. I saw Ken Walton at the Friday performance but it will probably take forever for the Scotsman to publish his review.

Comment

• amateur51

All good news indeed - so glad to hear that these centres of excellence are still going strong in these dispiriting times.

Burns Night will burn all the brighter in this knowledge!

SlĂ inte!

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
          Speaking to people who attended Saturday's Vixen it seems that the balance problem was not in evidence. It was the alternate cast of principals and perhaps with the benefit of feedback to the pit.
          Ah well - the disadvantage of going to the frist night. I booked very late (the beginning of the week, in fact) & the available seats for Friday were better than for Saturday. At least, I thought they were - very central, as opposed to at the side on Saturday. As it turned out, because of the design of the set I wouldn't have missed much seeing it from the side, & I was sitting behind a rather tall man - & I'm not exactly short myself - who blocked any view of the action in the Forrester's yard & the inn.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Not RSAMD, but this looks worth catching this afternoon at 15:15.

Comment

• Curalach

Bryn,
              Thanks for that. It's the same production, which is certainly one of the most magical I have ever seen in an Opera House.
              Iain

Comment

Working...
              X