• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Royal Philharmonic Society Bicentenary Tonight 24 Jan at 7.30

The Royal Philharmonic Society Bicentenary Concert: the Philharmonia, conducted by Tugan Sokhiev and with violinist Akiko Suwanai, play Mendelssohn, Dvořák & Brahms.

Mendelssohn: Overture, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Dvořák: Violin Concerto

Brahms: Symphony No. 1

Just a polite reminder of a very special concert

HS
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Didn't the RP society help Beethoven with some money and with the publication of his 9th Symphony.? I would have thought that he would feature in this concert, attractive though the programme is.

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Didn't the RP society help Beethoven with some money and with the publication of his 9th Symphony.? I would have thought that he would feature in this concert, attractive though the programme is.
      Good morning Saly,

The suggestion the the RPS subsidised one of Beethoven's symphonies is not proven (or which one of them) but, in any case the RPS must have subsidised or commisioned many composers works over the last 200 years so why single out Beethoven 9?

The reincarnation of some of those now forgotten would make for an interesting programme.

HS

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
        Good morning Saly,

The suggestion the the RPS subsidised one of Beethoven's symphonies is not proven (or which one of them) but, in any case the RPS must have subsidised or commisioned many composers works over the last 200 years so why single out Beethoven 9?

The reincarnation of some of those now forgotten would make for an interesting programme.

HS
        Well I think the reason is fairly obvious but I agree that it would be good to perform some of the others.

Do you have any details of what they might be, HS?

Comment

• Hornspieler
          Late Member
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Well I think the reason is fairly obvious but I agree that it would be good to perform some of the others.

Do you have any details of what they might be, HS?
          I can only give you the following link, which is not very specific

http://royalphilharmonicsociety.org....rps_since_1813.

Note that Mendelssohn and Dvorak are mentioned as well as Beethoven.

That concerto alone is worth tuning in for.

BWS,

HS
          Last edited by Hornspieler; 24-01-13, 13:49. Reason: typo

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I can only give you the following link, which is not very specific

http://royalphilharmonicsociety.org....rps_since_1813.

Note that Mendelssohn and Dvorak are mentioned as well as Beethoven.

That concerto alone is worth tuning in for.

BWS,

HS
            Agreed that the RPS helped a lot of great composers, but I worked for a few years in the Breitkopf London office and they had facsimile letters from the RPS and, I believe, Beethoven and felt very proud of their part in history, as they would be. Of course the Society are still helping composers, all in Robert Elkin's book 'Annals of the Royal Philharmonic Society'.

A great occasion for the Society and a nice concert tonight though.

Comment

• Hornspieler
              Late Member
              • Sep 2012

Agreed that the RPS helped a lot of great composers, but I worked for a few years in the Breitkopf London office and they had facsimile letters from the RPS and, I believe, Beethoven and felt very proud of their part in history, as they would be. Of course the Society are still helping composers, all in Robert Elkin's book 'Annals of the Royal Philharmonic Society'.

A great occasion for the Society and a nice concert tonight though.
              Mendelssohn Overture: A mad scramble by the violins following the opening woodwind chords. The whole piece sounds hurried and out of control. What’s the rush? The tuba (Ophicleide?) was painfully sharp in the little that he had to play. Shame!

Everything has stopped before the concerto for the orchestra to tune! Should they not have done that about 15 minutes earlier?

Dvorak Violin Concerto: Ravishing sound from the soloist. She makes the work sound easy (which it certainly isn’t)
              So far, a most enjoyable and sensitive performance. The second movement beautifully played. and the finale a joyous romp by all.
              I first encountered this concerto back in 1962 and it soon became my favourite, but after fifty years both as player and listener, I can honestly say that I have never heard it played better. Congratulations to Akiko Suwanai (and the orchestra certainly rose to the occasion)

Now awaiting the Brahms.

HS

BTW So it was Beethoven's Ninth that the RPS comissioned, but it would have been out of place, I think, on this occasion (and I could have had an early night!)

Comment

• rodney_h_d
                • Nov 2010

.....That concerto alone is worth tuning in for..... HS
                Absolutely! I think the Dvorak Violin Concerto has perhaps been the most underrated of all Violin Concertos and I'm glad it is performed more frequently these days. It may be difficult for the soloist but isn't for the listener!

I only heard tonight's performance on a fairly low-fi source but I thought the soloist was excellent.

Edit: I hadn't seen your last message [above] when I posted this HS. Glad you too thought so highly of the performance! I had never heard of the soloist but will now look out for her name. She seems to have the sort of secure technique that makes me interested to hear more!
                Last edited by rodney_h_d; 24-01-13, 22:59. Reason: Addition

Comment

• maestro267
                  • Nov 2010

This was the first time I ever heard the Dvorák Violin Concerto, and I'm impressed. Finale of Brahms 1 sounding magnificent, the horn solo giving me goosebumps as usual. Love that moment!

Comment

• Hornspieler
                    Late Member
                    • Sep 2012

........ so now to the Brahms symphony:

Wayward changes of tempo in opening movement. Maestro Sokhiev suddenly slammed the breaks on, on two occasions. Why?

Now into the second movement and things have settled. Some very nice woodwind playing.

Third movement: Nice flowing tempo. The orchestra are now really getting into their stride.

Finale: A nicely controlled opening. Great trombone entry and fine horn playing. This the Philharmonia at its best.

The late Helen Henschel, who introduced me to this symphony on Childrens Hour back in the 1940s would have been overjoyed with the way that first subject (the big tune) was performed..

I didn’t like those sudden changes of tempo in the first movement, but everything settled after that.

I played this symphony under Jascha Horenstein, who could be regarded as setting the benchmark for this work (I’m sure that waldhorn would agree with me here) and I remember him saying “Gentlemen, Brahms was most particular to write everything that he required of his music in the score. So oberve everything that is there and he would be well pleased – and so will I!”

A pleasing performance tonight, but I feel that Maestro Sokhiev could learn from that remark

This concert has been a bit of a “curate’s egg” for me.

The MSND overture was a mad scramble, with some dodgy playing by the strings.

A wonderful rendering of the Dvorak cocerto by Mdme Akiko Suwanai.

The orchestra took its time to settle. I can't help feeling that it was not their fault.

HS

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

The last movement had a real momentum to it! I thoroughly enjoyed the Brahms.
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Just to clarify it HS, I wasn't suggesting that the Beethoven 9th should be played, but that he should be part of such an important anniversary with an Overture perhaps.

I didn't notice the tuba in the MND overture but enjoyed the Dvorak concerto, as everyone seemed to. Afraid I'd never heard of the soloist or the conductor.

Missed the Brahms -may listen today.

Comment

• marvin
                          • Jul 2011

Just to clarify it HS, I wasn't suggesting that the Beethoven 9th should be played, but that he should be part of such an important anniversary with an Overture perhaps.

I didn't notice the tuba in the MND overture but enjoyed the Dvorak concerto, as everyone seemed to. Afraid I'd never heard of the soloist or the conductor.

Missed the Brahms -may listen today.
                          Please, please never Beethoven's ninth, the ghastly work this is in the main, especially the choral movement.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by marvin View Post
                            Please, please never Beethoven's ninth, the ghastly work this is in the main, especially the choral movement.
                            I agree completely and many of us shudder at the 'Ode to Joy', but as Petroc said last night it was the thing the RPS are rightly proud of that they supported Beethoven in his later years.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Sorry I've not had much time for this (or other concerts) this week, I prefer to take them live-in-one...

Thanks HS for such a detailed appraisal. I've been very fond of the Dvorak since I heard an open-reel sourced download of Maag/Peinemann/Czech PO (at HDTT) so I'll TRY to catch up, but...

...which is all an excuse to say I ADORE BEETHOVEN'S 9TH FROM THE FIRST NOTE TO THE LAST!
                              A great and revolutionary masterpiece, a great summation of what went before, opening its broad gates onto the future; marvellous in itself.

(What a strange fashion on this forum, to keep insulting it....I hope it's not because the finale is "too popular" or something...)

Comment

Working...
                              X