X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PianoSteve.
    • Sep 2024

The Planets again.

I listened to The Planets on Sunday afternoon. I'm hearing it again on Tuesday. Do the programmers talk to each other?
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by PianoSteve. View Post
    .. Do the programmers talk to each other?
    yes they all have to sing for their supper from the one true Wright hymnsheet - welcome to R2.5 and heading down to basement CFm level

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Don't think I know that one ?
      any chance of a repeat on iplayer ?

Comment

• Mary Chambers
        • Nov 2010

Never mind. It's followed by Britten's Abraham and Isaac this afternoon.

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PianoSteve. View Post
          I listened to The Planets on Sunday afternoon. I'm hearing it again on Tuesday. Do the programmers talk to each other?
          Was that the NYO concert with John Wilson? Outstanding, wasn't it?

I don't really get your second sentence, though. Did you hear it again today? Or did you stick on a CD of something else, or go for a nice bracing walk? Listening isn't compulsory you know.
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Strongly recommend today's performance, a real corker of a performance with Andrew Davis and the BBC Phil, unless of course you're 'all Planetted-out'.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I was a little disappointed by the announcer's introduction. Just a brief comment about Mars, with reference to the the other six movements. I think Radio 3 should try to educate, rather than subjugate to the whims of CFM and Breakfast. I only heard Mars and Neptune, the other movements being played while I was teaching...

Comment

• Anna

Not a fan of Holst, but enjoyed the Sunday John Wilson. The programme today that PianoSteve is referring to with a bit of Holst included, it seems from a look at the schedule, was the second episode of a five-parter entitled Best of British running all week. Nevermind, Chin Up! No Holst programmed for tomorrow.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post

I don't really get your second sentence, though. Did you hear it again today? Or did you stick on a CD of something else, or go for a nice bracing walk? Listening isn't compulsory you know.
                  I had the same thought as PianoSteve.

Mr Pee, I was working - I don't have a CD player available (nor CDs - they wouldn't mix well with ceramic dust), & a walk wasn't an option as I had too much to do (I had a nice bracing swim earlier). So put that in your fatuous pipe & smoke it.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

What planet are you on, Mr Pee?
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                      I had the same thought as PianoSteve.

Mr Pee, I was working - I don't have a CD player available (nor CDs - they wouldn't mix well with ceramic dust), & a walk wasn't an option as I had too much to do (I had a nice bracing swim earlier). So put that in your fatuous pipe & smoke it.
                      Does your radio only receive Radio 3 then? You can get models nowadays where you can re-tune them. Amazing.

OP wrote "I'm hearing it again on Tuesday", which suggests he has no choice in the matter.
                      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Does your radio only receive Radio 3 then? You can get models nowadays where you can re-tune them. Amazing.

OP wrote "I'm hearing it again on Tuesday", which suggests he has no choice in the matter.
                        But it isn't exactly the point of a radio station - to encourage people not to listen to it.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Are you suggesting that I should listen to CFM instead?

The only other station I'd listen to is R4, & none of this afternoon's offerings appeal -

14:15 – 15:00
                          Afternoon Drama Art & Gadg
                          By Gregory Evans. Two giants of the American theatre confront their troubled pasts.

15:00 – 15:30
                          Making History 15/01/2013
                          Magazine programme in which listeners and researchers share their passion for the past.

15:30 – 16:00
                          Lives in a Landscape Series 10, Episode 2
                          2/4 Alan Dein delves into the mysterious deaths of five dogs in the same West Yorkshire street (R)

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

I enjoyed the piano concerto by 'Baron Fred' at the end of yesterday's Afternoon on 3 - as good as Rachmaninov I thought

Comment

• Vile Consort
                              • Nov 2010

You are suggesting it doesn't matter what is played, on the grounds that nobody is obliged to listen to it, are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X