• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Beethoven 4 & 5 CBSO/Nelsons

Wednesday 9 January 2013 at 7.30 Live from Symphony Hall, Birmingham

Andris Nelsons continues the CBSOs cycle of Beethoven programmes. The orchestra are joined by Carolyn Sampson for the composer's most famous concert aria Ah, Perfido! between performances of his cheery and exuberant 4th and iconic 5th Symphonies.

Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 in B flat
    Beethoven: Ah, Perfido! Scene and Aria
    INTERVAL
    Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor

Hope Hornspieler doesn't mind my copy and paste job from his coming up this week thread.

Is there anything new to be said about these symphonies? Nelsons is a highly interesting conductor with plenty of ideas of his own so I'm looking forward to this one. Let's try and forget all those great, legendary recordings on our shelves and give this a hearing.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Andris Nelsons continues the CBSOs cycle of Beethoven programmes. The orchestra are joined by Carolyn Sampson for the composer's most famous concert aria Ah, Perfido! between performances of his cheery and exuberant 4th and iconic 5th Symphonies.

INTERVAL

Hope Hornspieler doesn't mind my copy and paste job from his coming up this week thread.

Is there anything new to be said about these symphonie"? Nelsons is a highly interesting conductor with plenty of ideas of his own so I'm looking forward to this one. Let's try and forget all those great, legendary recordings on our shelves and give this a hearing.
    Is there a better opportunity to assess a conductor than to hear him perform Beethoven's Fifth ?

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Is there a better opportunity to assess a conductor than to hear him perform Beethoven's Fifth ?
      Good point, Alison. I know I said to forget the legendary recordings but I am reminded of a BBC film on the Cleveland Orchestra many years ago which first gave us a clip of Szell playing the opening of LvB 5 then followed it with Maazel in the same clip. The contrast was cruel indeed.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Is there anything new to be said about these symphonies?
        Until just a little over a year ago, I would have thought not - just details here and there that hadn't been brought out. But then I heard Krivine (Santa was especially generous in 2011) - and it was like hearing them for the first time! If Mr Nelsons himself can somehow or other "forget all those great, legendary recordings" and concentrate on the scores, he may well find things no one else has. Good luck to anyone performing this repertoire!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Hornspieler
          Late Member
          • Sep 2012

INTERVAL

By no means, "Pet"

That was my very intention in starting the "Coming up this week" thread - to encourage others to start a separate thread for any particular live performance.

HS

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

This is striking me as quite big band traditional style Beethoven . Loving it

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

A beautifully sung Ah Perfido but she didn't sound that furious ! Callas 's recording would make the jilting lover run for the hills in fear !

Comment

• Colonel Danby
                • Nov 2010

I'm currently listening to Ms Sampson's performance at Symphony Hall, Birmingham live on R3, and I'm quite impressed.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  Yes me, too. A really engaging account of the 4th, full of wit and humour, not without moments of drama. Only downside so far is yet another conductor who feels obliged to speak to the audience.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                    Late Member
                    • Sep 2012

A beautifully sung Ah Perfido but she didn't sound that furious ! Callas 's recording would make the jilting lover run for the hills in fear !

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

.... Just lacking for me that personality and class in the woodwind choir that one of the worlds greatest orchestras would have.

I'll get under my duvet .....

Comment

• Hornspieler
                        Late Member
                        • Sep 2012

Yes me, too. A really engaging account of the 4th, full of wit and humour, not without moments of drama. Only downside so far is yet another conductor who feels obliged to speak to the audience.
                        A rather feeble clarinet sound in the second movement. Not necessarily the player's fault (balance problem)
                        1st horn just got away with his high note entry, 2nd horn not so lucky with his little solo arpeggio.

Overall, though, a lively and convincing performance. Those busy string passages in the finale were impressive.

Yes, I agree about the conductor. Quite unnecessary distraction.

Loved the aria. Powerful and convincing.

HS

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

I liked the woodwind playing - I thought it had real personality .

So far so good with this Fifth !

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

I agree with you this evening, Mr Hornspieler.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

I found that an eminent satisfying concert - no startling new insights but very well played and straightforward conducting .

Comment

Working...
                              X