• Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

For Mozart lovers' eyes only

Fri 28 Jan - BBC4 - 19:30

Two concerts from the 2006 Proms:

Clarinet Concerto with Julian Bliss
    Piano Concerto No. 23 with Richard Goode
    BBCSO conducted by Jiri Belohlavek.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • dw32

A Salzburg Mass

This was broadcast on BBC Radio 3 on Thu Jan 6 2011, 9:20-10:00pm, and I'm danged if I can find any further info. But I'd love to.

Right at the end I was in an adjacent room so I didn't catch the credits clearly. "No problem" I thought, "I'll get them off the radio3 web page, or iPlayer, even Radio Times."

Well I didn't and couldn't. All I caught for sure was K.262. I also heard something like "Collegium" or maybe Mozartium, and definitely Salzburg, but that last might have been the Beeb's presenter mentioning the manuscript in Salzburg cathedral.

K.262/246a is known as the Missa longa, but is it close to 40 minutes long? (Less a few mins I suppose for the before & after chat.)

I've searched & searched. Found the Salzburg Mozarteum, also MOZARTEUM ORCHESTER in German of course. On mozartforum.com I found an interesting discussion about K.262 by "dennis".

I also found the Collegium Cartusianum conducted by Peter Neumann, and I'm wondering if that was it? If so it's not extant to buy. It's a great puzzle to me why the BBC should give nothing more than the tight few words to be found on their web pages under "A Salzburg Mass".

So PLEASE, did anyone around this forum hear the broadcast? It must have been a recording of course, but was it specially made by the Beeb and/or associates, or is it available to buy?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by dw32 View Post
      This was broadcast on BBC Radio 3 on Thu Jan 6 2011, 9:20-10:00pm, and I'm danged if I can find any further info.
      Hello dw 32!

You could try emailing Performance on 3 - performanceon3@bbc.co.uk - and asking them. It came on at the end of that slot and I daresay it's just going to be the same researchers/production assistants &c who have to do the tracking down whatever the programme. If you fail with that, send me a private message and I'll give you another contact to chase up.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by dw32 View Post
        This was broadcast on BBC Radio 3 on Thu Jan 6 2011, 9:20-10:00pm, and I'm danged if I can find any further info. But I'd love to.

Right at the end I was in an adjacent room so I didn't catch the credits clearly. "No problem" I thought, "I'll get them off the radio3 web page, or iPlayer, even Radio Times."

Here's the introductory announcement edited from the iPlayer version. PM me if you want (to know) more. You will have to transcribe from voice to script yourself.

[Oh, and ignore the attempts by Rapidshare to get you to pay up. You don't need to. Just click on "No" when they ask if you want to get access to fast downloads, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the slow download option to the bottom right. You might have to wait about a minute before the download starts but then it will be pretty quick after that.]

[Oh, and as yet another demonstration of the incompetence associated with this daft project of Captain Wright's, recording of the mass did not appear complete on the iPlayer. The programme started late and got truncated. The iPlayer version of the programme which followed stated some minutes after the point at which the Mass was truncated. The last couple of minutes of the Mass is there, as is the closing announcement, but there is no overlap, or indeed continuity.]
        Last edited by Bryn; 20-01-11, 20:49. Reason: Additional info.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Magnifico, Bryn, I made that:

Mechthild Bach (sop)
          Claudio Schubert (alto)
          Christoph Prégardien (tenor)
          Franz-Josef Selig (bass)

The Cologne Chamber Choir
          Collegium Cartusianum, conducted by Peter Neumann

- FWIW, as I think dw32 is right and it wasn't a commercially available recording.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Is it not one of the Masses in C in this box:? Mind you, Presto do not offer it at the most competitive price. amazon.co.uk, for instance, have it for considerably less.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Is it not one of the Masses in C in this box:? Mind you, Presto do not offer it at the most competitive price. amazon.co.uk, for instance, have it for considerably less.
              Doesn't seem to be, Bryn. The announcement didn't give the K number, but the schedule actually does! It was K262/246a Missa longa which is almost - numberwise - there, but not exactly. Some different soloists too.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Quite so, frenchie. How about this then?

Currently out of the catalogue.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

That's it, Bryn! I caught the name as Claudio Schubert, rather than Claudia (alto), but, hell, that's close enough

Might be possible to find it somewhere.

Comment

• dw32

Thanks you guys. I had found the K.262 listing of Peter Neumann with the Collegium Cartusianum & soloists on sharethemusic.com, but that's all there is, just the track listing. Nothing to try or buy, no physical CDs, no mp3s. It's also not on Amazon.

So thank you very much Bryn for identifying the recording. I'm glad you posted it, because the Mass_intro.aac wouldn't play, maybe due to my being on OS X (MacBook).

Why the heck doesn't HMV/EMI get itself some goodwill by donating all its no-longer-commercial stuff to the RCM or some such. Yes I know, the men in suits don't even think that way.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

This is odd - sometime ago I bought a 5CD bargain box from Virgin Classics which collected together a lot of the Mozart masses from recordings by Peter Neumann, but I see that the disc/masses cited above is not included in it - I wonder why?

Comment

Working...
                      X