Some folks I know are getting rather excited about this

Comment

• amateur51

Friday 28 November 2014 @19.30

BBC SO - Schubert, Mahler, Hans Rott
      Radio 3 Live in Concert

Live from the Barbican Hall
      Presented by TBA

The BBC SO conducted by Marc Minkowski in music by Hans Rott, Bruckner's pupil and Mahler's contemporary. Plus Schubert's 4th Symphony and Mahler's Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen.

Music by three Austrian composers. Schubert was 19 when he wrote his 4th Symphony in April 1816. Hans Rott died in 1884 at the age of 25, four years after completing his 1st Symphony. Coincidentally neither composer's symphony was performed in their lifetime.

Katerina Karneus joins for Mahler's great song cycle in which a grief-stricken lover reflects on his fate.

Schubert: Symphony no.4 in C minor, 'Tragic'
      Mahler: Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen

8.25pm Interval: *******

Hans Rott: Symphony no.1

Katerina Karneus (mezzo-soprano)
      BBC Symphony Orchestra
      Marc Minkowski (conductor).

I do hope that TBA is in good voice to make the announcement this interesting concert

Who will it be? A nation sits with a cushion over its face in excited anticipation

Has Marc Minkowski conducted BBCSO before?
      Last edited by Guest; 26-11-14, 11:51. Reason: MM question

Comment

• bluestateprommer
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Has Marc Minkowski conducted BBCSO before?
        Yes:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...-school-review (I'm kicking myself for missing this one on iPlayer 2 years back)

Tim Ashley: Marc Minkowski's cerebral tribute to Poulenc captured the composer's flippant wit as well his more serious qualities

PS: The R3 host for tonight's BBC SO concert is set to be Ian Skelly. Everyone can put their snark meters away now....
        Last edited by bluestateprommer; 28-11-14, 18:29. Reason: tonight's host now on web listing

Comment

• aeolium
          • Nov 2010

Just an alert for a forthcoming R3 broadcast including a rare and welcome outing for the Busoni Piano Concerto with Garrick Ohlsson and the BBCSO & chorus conducted by Sakari Oramo, this Friday 12th December. Also in the programme are Rachmaninov's Spring Cantata and Nielsen's 2nd Symphony:

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
            Just an alert for a forthcoming R3 broadcast including a rare and welcome outing for the Busoni Piano Concerto with Garrick Ohlsson and the BBCSO & chorus conducted by Sakari Oramo, this Friday 12th December. Also in the programme are Rachmaninov's Spring Cantata and Nielsen's 2nd Symphony:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04tcbqy
            Yes, can't wait for this, well it's the Busoni monster of a Piano Concerto!!!! I have John Ogdon and Marc-Andre Hamlin.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Yes, can't wait for this, well it's the Busoni monster of a Piano Concerto!!!! I have John Ogdon and Marc-Andre Hamlin.
              Programme change: R3 announced last night that it would be Ravel's Spring Cantata.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                Programme change: R3 announced last night that it would be Ravel's Spring Cantata.
                When? Immediately after last night's Po3 PT announced the Rachmaninov Spring Cantata and the rest of the programme for tonight's Po3 as advertised.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  When? Immediately after last night's Po3 PT announced the Rachmaninov Spring Cantata and the rest of the programme for tonight's Po3 as advertised.
                  Well, my contact may be misinformed but it was fun while it lasted.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

A couple of good evenings upcoming later this week, by the look of it.

Elgar , Bridge and Tippett on Thursday. CBSO and Eddie Gardner.

And, wait for it....on Friday.... From The BBCSO....
                    Beethove,Lutoslawski, and america's very own Christopher Rouse.
                    Michal Nesterowicz conducts the BBC SO in music by Beethoven, Rouse and Lutowslawski.

Good, eh?

i am assuming that this is a prequel to a UK premiere of Rousey's 3rd symphony, and a couple of Proms run outs for some of his other works.

has to be ? They know it makes sense......
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Marvellous that.

Hope you all caught it.

Never afraid to make a bit of a racket, is he?

( bit of a half hearted response from the audience though, I thought).

Enjoyed the Lutoslawski very much too. HAll doesnt sound too full.

Do people think there are some similarities between Lutoslawski and Rouse? I have certainly noticed some similarities in use of percussion, if nothing else.
                      Discuss.
                      Last edited by teamsaint; 24-04-15, 21:29.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        A couple of good evenings upcoming later this week, by the look of it.

Elgar , Bridge and Tippett on Thursday. CBSO and Eddie Gardner.

And, wait for it....on Friday.... From The BBCSO....
                        Beethove,Lutoslawski, and america's very own Christopher Rouse.
                        Michal Nesterowicz conducts the BBC SO in music by Beethoven, Rouse and Lutowslawski.

Good, eh?

i am assuming that this is a prequel to a UK premiere of Rousey's 3rd symphony, and a couple of Proms run outs for some of his other works.

has to be ? They know it makes sense......
                        Just listened to the Elgar,Bridge and Tippett.
                        Absolutely stunning concert,the best thing I've heard on the radio for a long while.
                        Special mention for the strings in the Tippett slow movement which was done to perfection.

Bravo.

Comment

• silvestrione
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          Just listened to the Elgar,Bridge and Tippett.
                          Absolutely stunning concert,the best thing I've heard on the radio for a long while.
                          Special mention for the strings in the Tippett slow movement which was done to perfection.

Bravo.
                          Yes, good to see Gardner taking on this Tippett Sym 2 again (he did it at Aldeburgh some years back as a late sub for Oliver Knussen; superb. The woman sitting next to me turned to me at the end and said,'I don't know what that was, but it was wonderful!')

He really seemed to relish the textures and clashing harmonies, and the end of the first movement built up a great 'head of steam' and a threatening, almost violent quality, different from the Colin Davis performance.

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

anyone know this "Seven Stars Symphony" by Koechlin, getting a Scottish outing this evening ? looks bizarre, but worth a listen

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              anyone know this "Seven Stars Symphony" by Koechlin, getting a Scottish outing this evening ? looks bizarre, but worth a listen
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...ngled-symphony
                              I heard it once well over thirty years ago - cannot remember the details, but it made me determined to seek out more Koechlin. His Jungle Book series is a remarkable (for all the best reasons ) set of works.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

First heard it on a tiny transistor radio while visiting Derrry back in the early 1980s. I then got the Judd recording. Not a great work but looking forward to hearing what Volkov does with it.

Last edited by Bryn; 14-01-16, 22:20. Reason: Oops, Jungle Book was Zinman. 7 Stars was Judd.

Comment

Working...
                                X