X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

R3 19:00 Nikolai Lugansky

Time to settle down and listen to some Chopin, Brahms and Liszt . . .
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • Peter Katin
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
    Time to settle down and listen to some Chopin, Brahms and Liszt . . .
    Which is what I did. I was enormously impressed although somehow Russians miss something in Chopin - perhaps in the filigree passages which tend to get thrown away. But I shouldn't grumble, there was so much music there. If the engineers hadn't kept changing their minds about the level it would have been perfect, I'm sure.

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Peter Katin View Post
      . . . although somehow Russians miss something in Chopin -
      Yes, quite. I was impressed with his Chopin until he began the Liszt Etudes which I thought were just stunning. Reflecting then on his Chopin I began to question his none-too subtle rubato in the Op15/1, would have wished for a slightly softer opening of the Prelude op.45 and a wider range of colours in the Chopin overall. And where were the pp in the Brahms 118/6? However, I thought his Chasse-neige was superb as were his two encores.
      BTW. His recording of the Rachmaninov Corelli Variations I think is outstanding - with John Lill's recording at the other end of the spectrum (which was a huge surprise to me as I think JL is a fine pianist).
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
      X