• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Finzi's Hymn to St Cecilia

I was driving back (from a rather staid piano recital) and glorious sounds came from my car radio. It was James Gilchrist with David Hill and (I think) the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and Chorus giving a cracking performance of the above. It's a work I don't know and it wasn't advertised in RT. Was the concert changed/cancelled? Anyway, if it becomes available on i-player it's definitely worth a listen....and I must try and track down the CD.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Finzi: Intimations of Immortality & For St Cecilia. Naxos: 8557863. Buy CD or download online. James Gilchrist (tenor) Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, David Hill

That seems to be it, and, apologies, it's just called For St Cecilia.

Comment

• AmpH
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Naxos/8557863

That seems to be it, and, apologies, it's just called For St Cecilia.
      A beautifull composition and fine performance of For St Cecilia on this cd. I think this is indeed the only currently available recording, although Richard Hickox recorded it for ( I think ) Decca more than 20 years ago.

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
        A beautifull composition and fine performance of For St Cecilia on this cd. I think this is indeed the only currently available recording, although Richard Hickox recorded it for ( I think ) Decca more than 20 years ago.
        It may still be gettable. This was its last manifestation:

Comment

• AmpH
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
          It may still be gettable. This was its last manifestation:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gerald-Finzi...3625277&sr=1-2
          Thanks - I should have checked before I wrote !

Comment

• Historian
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            I was driving back (from a rather staid piano recital) and glorious sounds came from my car radio. It was James Gilchrist with David Hill and (I think) the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and Chorus giving a cracking performance of the above. It's a work I don't know and it wasn't advertised in RT. Was the concert changed/cancelled?
            The concert was broadcast, but presumably finished earlier than expected. The Finzi, and one or two other items, such as Britten's Prelude and Fugue on a Theme of Vittoria, were the intelligently-chosen fillers. Glad you enjoyed it; it's one of his more extrovert pieces, I feel.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I have that recording. I can wholeheartedly reccomend this!!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
              X