X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

BBC Concert Orchestra/ Hutchins 13 Nov.

I'm not sure what the regular listeners to Performance on 3 made of last night's concert, but for my money there was some very worthwhile music, which was not just Jazz, but fitted within the Classical scheme of things.

The Cello concerto was lovely, and whilst Shabaka Hutchins may not be in the mould of Elgar and RVW, I thought Babylon a very original composition::

In this special one-off BBC Radio 3 commission, Shabaka Hutchings, saxophonist, composer, and BBC Radio 3 New Generation artist, joins forces with the BBC Concert Orchestra, at the London Jazz Festival.

Friedrich Gulda: Concerto for cello and wind orchestra

8.00: Interval

Dave Heath: Rhapsody Shabaka Hutchings: Babylon (World premiere) Sons of Kemet solo set

Shabaka Hutchings Jason Singh Leafcutter John Sons of Kemet Benjamin Hughes, cello BBC Concert Orchestra Keith Lockhart, conductor
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
    I'm not sure what the regular listeners to Performance on 3 made of last night's concert, but for my money there was some very worthwhile music, which was not just Jazz, but fitted within the Classical scheme of things.

The Cello concerto was lovely, and whilst Shabaka Hutchins may not be in the mould of Elgar and RVW, I thought Babylon a very original composition::

In this special one-off BBC Radio 3 commission, Shabaka Hutchings, saxophonist, composer, and BBC Radio 3 New Generation artist, joins forces with the BBC Concert Orchestra, at the London Jazz Festival.

Friedrich Gulda: Concerto for cello and wind orchestra

8.00: Interval

Dave Heath: Rhapsody Shabaka Hutchings: Babylon (World premiere) Sons of Kemet solo set

Shabaka Hutchings Jason Singh Leafcutter John Sons of Kemet Benjamin Hughes, cello BBC Concert Orchestra Keith Lockhart, conductor
    Shabaka's piece was/is certainly interesting and worth a few hearings to see where/if it fits, and the Sons of Kemet fun - I've seen them a few times - if not particularly challenging listening jazzwise.

I'm afraid I found the Gulda and Heath pieces absolutely cringeworthy, and felt very glad it was not me doing the presenting!

Comment

Working...
    X