X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tony yyy
    • Sep 2024

Viktoria Mullova - Schwetzingen Festival

Any opinions on Mullova's Schubert Piano Trio? I haven't noticed any comment here. Er, I haven't actually listened to it myself yet.
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Not really, but I noticed that one BBC announcer referred to her gratuitously as a "maverick" violinist. I would have thought that was uncalled for. Perhaps we need to listen to the performances to see if that epithet has any validity?

Comment

• Cellini

Originally posted by tony yyy View Post
      Any opinions on Mullova's Schubert Piano Trio? I haven't noticed any comment here. Er, I haven't actually listened to it myself yet.
      Well, I did listen to it all and it was excellent. I'm no great fan of hers, (Mullover) but I thought the Beethoven sonata and the Schubert Trio were really very fine, from all tyhe performers. Very musical and expressive playing all round.

Nice to be able to change one's opinion, and it was excellent fiddle playing, and nothing maverick at all.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Cellini View Post
        Well, I did listen to it all and it was excellent. I'm no great fan of hers, (Mullover) but I thought the Beethoven sonata and the Schubert Trio were really very fine, from all tyhe performers. Very musical and expressive playing all round.

Nice to be able to change one's opinion, and it was excellent fiddle playing, and nothing maverick at all.
        Good for you, Cellini - tis a brave & honest man who can change his mind in public!

I think that the 'maverick' bit refers to her experimentation with modern and baroque playing styles - she plays on the Jules Falk Stradivarius from 1723 and an violin made in 1750 by Giovanni Battista Guadagnini. Her bows include a Baroque style bow by a modern maker, a Dodd and a Voirin, according to wiki

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Just bought 2 tickets to hear her with BBC NOW in Swansea in February - the programme includes Bartok Concerto for Orchestra. Wouldn't normally go out of my way to hear yet another Beethoven VC, but she's a violinist I've long wanted to hear. I have her 2009 Bach sonatas and partitas which are outstanding IMV.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Not really, but I noticed that one BBC announcer referred to her gratuitously as a "maverick" violinist. I would have thought that was uncalled for. Perhaps we need to listen to the performances to see if that epithet has any validity?
            Isn't that because she engages also in all sorts of non-classical jamming which R3, wink, wink, nod, nod, approves of? The much respected music commentator (and, of course, R3 presenter) Norman Lebrecht fills in the details.

But, the performance is all ....
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              But, the performance is all ....
              Indeed - did anyone catch her Beethoven Violin Concerto from the Brangwyn Hall last night? I was at the concert - the hall was barely half full, probably thanks to a clash with some annual fertility rites taking place in Cardiff.

First time I've seen her live and my goodness she cuts a striking figue on the platform - tall and slender, she was the same height as the tiny French conductor plus podium. Fabulous tone. She played cadenzas (it said in the programme) by "conductor and harpsichordist Ottavio Dantone" (and regular collaborator apparently). I really liked these.

She had her part discreetly on a music stand next to the podium - and I was interested to see her joining in the tutti before her first solo entry and in one or two other places too - don't think I've seen this before?

The estimable Ms Bott described Koussevitsky in her intro from the platform to the Concerto for Orchestra as conductor of the "Boston Pops"

Comment

• Cellini

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                She had her part discreetly on a music stand next to the podium - and I was interested to see her joining in the tutti before her first solo entry and in one or two other places too - don't think I've seen this before?
                It is often dun, the joining in that is, to help get things moving before the actual solo part starts. Helps get over any slightly nervous wobbles beforehand.

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

Richard
                  Good to hear that it was a good concert. It may be my receiver but I thought the violin didn’t come through too well on the (my) radio. I was rather puzzled by the underwhelming sound which was very unlike Viktoria Mullova.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Thanks Cellini.

dover - she sounded glorious in the hall - great acoustics in the Brangwyn Hall, I was sitting a third of the way back - perhaps it was the miking/mixing.

Comment

• Jeffrey

She sounded wonderful on my Quad FM4/Audiolab combination. BTW, did anyone notice a fluffed note towards the end, or are we not supposed to mention such things? Anyway, I thought that it was really refreshing to hear different cadenzas with this concerto and her interpretation also differed slightly from the usual.

Comment

• Cellini

Originally posted by Jeffrey View Post
                        She sounded wonderful on my Quad FM4/Audiolab combination. BTW, did anyone notice a fluffed note towards the end, or are we not supposed to mention such things? Anyway, I thought that it was really refreshing to hear different cadenzas with this concerto and her interpretation also differed slightly from the usual.
                        No, you are not supposed to mention such things. Could you play a concert at that level without the odd balls up?

Sorry, did not realise you might be a new member. Just ignore my rants!! (But your comment reminded me of an old girl friend who always jumped on the odd mistake people made!! My fault)
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-02-11, 08:35.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Cellers, could you add a biggrin or a winkeye to that? Sometimes new members might get the wrong impression until they get to know you better
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

I'm afraid your apology was not accepted and we have just lost a member.

Comment

• Cellini

Well that's a pity but ridiculously over sensitive. He/She would probably have not lasted long anyway, in that case, as there is plenty of barracking going on most of the time. Or are are we supposed to be all sweet and happy all the time?

Comment

Working...
                              X