Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Hallé Orchestra in concert, Bridgewater Hall, Manchester on Sat 10th Nov 2012

I'm looking forward to attending the Hallé Orchestra concert this Saturday evening. Their Programme is:

Prokofiev: Sonata for Violins
    Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms
    Dvorák: Scherzo capriccioso*
    Janácek: Sinfonietta

Hallé Choir, Hallé Youth Choir & Hallé Orchestra/Sir Mark Elder (conductor); Jamie Phillips* (conductor)
  • AjAjAjH
    • Nov 2010

Mark Elder (re)introduced Scherzo Capriciccioso to Halle audiences some years ago and they have played it quite regularly since. Fabulous piece of music. I can't attend this concert unfortunately.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

I'll be there. Mark Elder did a blistering Janacek Sinfonietta back in 2005, oddly but effectively programmed during the Tippett Centenary weekend - quite a challenge over two consecutive nights with Concerto for Double String Orchestra, Ritual Dances and Triple Concerto. Off the top of my head I can't remember what else - I'll look it up.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Looks like a great programme to boot!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• beakon

The Halle and Elder performed the Janacek in Nottingham last night - and electrifying it certainly was! A fabulous sound from all those extra brass players in the balcony, not to mention those on stage. I came away exhausted just from listening, so goodness knows how the players felt! We also had the Dvorak, conducted by Jamie Phillips - he certainly seemed in control of the performance and I very much enjoyed it.

Comment

• Kuhlau

Having attended this concert, I can say that the following is a very fair and accurate review...

Sir Mark Elder's conducting shaped impressive performances of Stravinsky and Janacek by the Halle Orchestra at Bridgewater Hall in Manchester, writes David Fanning.

A sensational performance, with highlights being the Stravinsky and Janacek for me, something about the Sinfonietta makes it so life affirming and exciting!

Comment

Working...
            X