• Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Liverpool Philharmonic play Sibelius, Arutyunyan and Mahler 1st symphony

Wednesday 07 November 2012 at 7.30

Live from Liverpool Philharmonic Hall

The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Vasily Petrenko, performs Sibelius's Karelia Suite, Alexander Arutyunyan's Trumpet Concerto with soloist Tine Thing Helseth and Mahler's 1st Symphony.

Sibelius: Karelia Suite
    Arutyunyan: Trumpet Concerto
    INTERVAL
    Mahler: Symphony Nº 1

A challenging programme for both orchestra and listener.

Try not to miss this one.

HS

• Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

I'm going to the concert by the Liverpool Phil/Vasily Petrenko who is conducting the same programme at The Guild Hall, Preston on Friday.
    Last edited by Stanfordian; 06-11-12, 16:30.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      I'm going to the concert by the Liverpool Phil/Vasily Petrenko who is playing the same programme at The Guild Hall, Preston on Friday.
      Does he play the trumpet as well?

Comment

• Hornspieler
        Late Member
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
        Does he play the trumpet as well?
        May I suggest that you read message #1 carefully?

(Also spracht Hornspieler)

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Welkl let's hope the RLPO keep up the standard of great Sibelius that they had under Sargent, then Libor Pesek.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
            • Nov 2010

Sorry, I was making a point too subtle to be worthwhile. Life's too short.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Anyone consulting Radio Times may be intrigued to see this concert located at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester. Petrenko can do great things, but even he can't quite manage simultaneous virtual projection in another city... parallel universes, anyone? And we thought iPads were modern.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                Anyone consulting Radio Times may be intrigued to see this concert located at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester. Petrenko can do great things, but even he can't quite manage simultaneous virtual projection in another city... parallel universes, anyone? And we thought iPads were modern.

Hiya Jayne,

A few weeks ago the Liverpool Phil appeared at the Bridgewater hall, Manchester as a guest orchestra whilst the Hallé Orchestra was on tour in China. Maybe this confused the Radio Times people who compile the BBC Radio 3 schedules.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                  • Nov 2010

Well, I'll see you and raise you... Here's one where one conductor metamorphosises into another:

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                    Hiya Jayne,

A few weeks ago the Liverpool Phil appeared at the Bridgewater hall, Manchester as a guest orchestra whilst the Hallé Orchestra was on tour in China. Maybe this confused the Radio Times people who compile the BBC Radio 3 schedules.

And regarding the R3 schedules, it sadly doesn't take much to confuse them now.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      Are you going to this one, Jayne? I will certainly be listening on R3. Just the sort of programme I like.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

I shall be there.

The Phil have done quite a lot of Sibelius under Petrenko, and a Finnish woman I know said she could not believe that a Russian could understand Finnish music so well, and it brought her to tears.

They also played Sibelius Symphony no. 1 under the Finn Pietari Inkinen at the end of September.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Yes, that was a sensational Sibelius 1st! I was in floods.

Listening at home this time, fascinating to hear how a familiar acoustic will sound on-air...

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                            Welkl let's hope the RLPO keep up the standard of great Sibelius that they had under Sargent, then Libor Pesek.
                            And don't forget David Atherton who did a fabulous Sibelius cycle in the 1981-2 season. I was only there live for No 5 and No 7 but the complete cycle was broadcast on Radio 3. He did No 5 several times when he was principal conductor, in the cycle (with RVW Wasps Overture and Dvorak Cello Concerto, Mischa Maisky as soloist), once earlier in an all Sibelius programme in May 1980 - Karelia Suite and the Violin Concerto (Kyung-Wha Chung) and then in April or May 1983 with Berlioz Carnaval Romain and (I think) Beethoven Piano Concerto No 4 - I'm afraid I can't remember who the soloist was on that occasion. Thirty years on, those wonderful performances stay in my memory.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Rather liked the Arutiunian Trumpet Concerto, will look out for a recording. Not a challenging listen but a very enjoyable one.

I've had to have the volume level very high in order to bring the sound into focus but fine when done. Had to turn down very sharply once SJ came on with the interval talk.

On to the Mahler 1...
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X