BBC Philharmonic/Gianandrea Noseda, Bridgewater Hall this Saturday 3rd November 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

BBC Philharmonic/Gianandrea Noseda, Bridgewater Hall this Saturday 3rd November 2012

I'm greatly looking forward to the BBC Philharmonic concert conducted by Gianandrea Noseda this Saturday the 3rd November at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester. The exciting looking programme is:

Verdi: Sicilian Vespers Overture;
    Prokofiev: Piano Concertos Nos. 1 and 4 with Jean-Efflam Bavouzet (piano);
    Casella: Symphony No. 3;

Even for a radio orchestra such as the BBC Philharmonic with 'bums on seats' so crucial these days it is unusual to have such an varied and adventurous programme with so many lesser works/known works. I have not heard the Casella Symphony No. 3 before and it is a long time since I attended a concert containing these two Prokofiev piano concertos. Gianandrea Noseda is wonderfully at home in this late-Romantic repertory and I have found pianist Jean-Efflam Bavouzet to be an exceptional player.
    Last edited by Stanfordian; 05-11-12, 17:34.
  • amateur51

A fascinating programme, Stanfordian - very enterprising!

Noseda got quite a rough ride on this Board but I always found his work envigorating & fresh.His recent recorded performance of Britten War Requiem has been well received.

I hope that you have a great evening & that you'll let us have your report in due course

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Alfred Casella’s Symphony No. 3 on Saturday evening at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester was simply stunning. Gianandrea Noseda conducted the BBC Philharmonic with skill and enthusiasm. Now I have heard a dozen or so Casella scores I am beginning to believe that Casella was great composer and his music deserves to be heard. It was great to hear the rarely heard Verdi overture the Sicilian Vespers and including the 2 Prokofiev Piano Concertos No.s 1 & 4 (for left hand) was a masterstroke. Jean-Efflam Bavouzet played wonderfully.

I am pleased that Noseda and the BBC Phil have already recorded the Casella Symphony No. 3.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        Alfred Casella’s Symphony No. 3 on Saturday evening at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester was simply stunning. Gianandrea Noseda conducted the BBC Philharmonic with skill and enthusiasm. Now I have heard a dozen or so Casella scores I am beginning to believe that Casella was great composer and his music deserves to be heard. It was great to hear the rarely heard Verdi overture the Sicilian Vespers and including the 2 Prokofiev Piano Concertos No.s 1 & 4 (for left hand) was a masterstroke. Jean-Efflam Bavouzet played wonderfully.

I am pleased that Noseda and the BBC Phil have already recorded the Casella Symphony No. 3.
        Many thanks, Stanfordian - I'll investigate Casella's work on your recommendation

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Casella'smuisc has been recorded but I cannot think by which company?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Casella'smuisc has been recorded but I cannot think by which company?
            Hiya Brassbandmaestro,

It’s the Orchestra Sinfonica Di Roma under Francesco La Vecchia who have been recording the vast majority of the discs of music of Alfredo Casella for Naxos. Condcutor Alun Francis has released a couple of discs on the CPO label with different orchestras. The BBC Philharmonic under Gianandrea Noseda have so far released two Casella discs with more in the can.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
              • Mar 2007

Agreed - a very good concert. The Casella symphony was something of a revelation, and I look forward to the forthcoming CD. It's a pity that the attendance was so poor: I suppose it was down to the lure of bonfire parties.

Apparently, the concert will be broadcast in the 'Sunday Concert' slot at 2pm on 25th November.

Comment

Working...
              X