• Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Dresden Philharmonic Tuesday 23rd October at 7.30pm

Live from Bridgewater Hall, Manchester

Presented by Tom Redmond

The Dresden Philharmonic performs Brahms' Haydn Variations, Dvorak's much-loved New World Symphony, and Barber's lyrical Violin Concerto.

Sarah Chang (violin)
    Dresden Philharmonic
    Michael Sanderling (conductor)

A rare visit to the UK from one of Germany's most distinguished symphony orchestras - directed by Michael Sanderling, its recently-appointed Principal Conductor. Founded in 1870, the Dresden Philharmonic's pedigree includes associations with some of the greatest composers of the 19th century and - in our own times - a succesion of highly illustrious principal conductors. Tonight they play two of the best-loved of all Romantic symphonic works, together with a warmly lyrical 20th-century violin concerto, a piece which has become a classic of the repertoire, played by the American virtuoso Sarah Chang.

Don't miss this one. A refreshing change after all that heavy Wagner.

HS

As the lady said: "I think Wagner's music is really wonderful - until the singers come in."
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post

Presented by Tom Redmond

The Dresden Philharmonic performs Brahms' Haydn Variations, Dvorak's much-loved New World Symphony, and Barber's lyrical Violin Concerto.

Sarah Chang (violin)
    Dresden Philharmonic

A rare visit to the UK from one of Germany's most distinguished symphony orchestras - directed by Michael Sanderling, its recently-appointed Principal Conductor. Founded in 1870, the Dresden Philharmonic's pedigree includes associations with some of the greatest composers of the 19th century and - in our own times - a succesion of highly illustrious principal conductors. Tonight they play two of the best-loved of all Romantic symphonic works, together with a warmly lyrical 20th-century violin concerto, a piece which has become a classic of the repertoire, played by the American virtuoso Sarah Chang.

HS

As the lady said: "I think Wagner's music is really wonderful - until the singers come in."
    I shall be there, I'm looking forward to the concert. I also wonder how the Dresden Philharmonic compare to the Staatskapelle Dresden who I saw 3 times last May in Dresden

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Presented by Tom Redmond

Sarah Chang (violin)
      Dresden Philharmonic

HS

That was no lady HS. That was me

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

The lady - sorry, saly - was pretty on the mark, I think (with certain honourable exceptions).
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• scchoir

A rare visit to the UK from one of Germany's most distinguished symphony orchestras - directed by Michael Sanderling, its recently-appointed Principal Conductor. Founded in 1870, the Dresden Philharmonic's pedigree includes associations with some of the greatest composers of the 19th century and - in our own times - a succesion of highly illustrious principal conductors.
          This concert is repeated Fri 26 at Cadogan Hall

They also play a few other venues while here - keeping the Dvorak, but with a different first half:

Prokofiev Cinderella Suite
          Khachaturian Violin concerto (with Mikhail Simonyan):

Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham Thu 25
          Colston Hall, Bristol Sun 28 at 3pm

and at the Anvil, Basingstoke on Sat 27 - the Khachaturian with Beethoven Egmont and Tchaikovsky's Pathétique.

Not bad - less than a week, chance to catch 3 very different concerts

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scchoir View Post
            This concert is repeated Fri 26 at Cadogan Hall

They also play a few other venues while here - keeping the Dvorak, but with a different first half:

Prokofiev Cinderella Suite
            Khachaturian Violin concerto (with Mikhail Simonyan):

Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham Thu 25
            Colston Hall, Bristol Sun 28 at 3pm
            And if you're anywhere near Bristol, the excellent Jonathan James will be giving one of his Discovering Music talks about the Colston Hall programme on Saturday at 11am.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Well, part one was a lovely listen!

A true German sound from this orchestra, the Brahms rich, dark and full, brasses rounded down into the wind and string textures, warm and characterful phrasing from the winds themselves. The St.Anthony Variations seemed to play themselves. So was this, as Hans Keller once remarked of Bohm's pre-war VPO concerts, a performance "without interpretation"? Perhaps it was, but it was steeped in the natural movement and colour of Brahms' orchestral style. I loved it.

Barber's Violin Concerto is relatively unfamiliar to me, but it made a vividly neo-Romantic impression tonight. Sarah Chang moved effortlessly from airy delicacy to a powerful, singing tenor warmth, switching effortlessly to a viola-voice when the mood took her. Sanderling and the Dresdeners followed her with their deep and dark intonations, until - flick of the wrist - everyone showed off their speed and virtuosity in the brief and exhilarating finale.

At this point I have to say, as the classic BBC comedy Round The Horne used to, suddenly interrupting a cliffhanger, " and there we must leave..." because the 9th Symphony of Dvorak is in my own personal moratorium; I may need to experience good karma (on my return) before hearing it again...

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

A true German sound from this orchestra, the Brahms rich, dark and full, brasses rounded down into the wind and string textures, warm and characterful phrasing from the winds themselves. The St.Anthony Variations seemed to play themselves. So was this, as Hans Keller once remarked of Bohm's pre-war VPO concerts, a performance "without interpretation"? Perhaps it was, but it was steeped in the natural movement and colour of Brahms' orchestral style. I loved it.

Barber's Violin Concerto is relatively unfamiliar to me, but it made a vividly neo-Romantic impression tonight. Sarah Chang moved effortlessly from airy delicacy to a powerful, singing tenor warmth, switching effortlessly to a viola-voice when the mood took her. Sanderling and the Dresdeners followed her with their deep and dark intonations, until - flick of the wrist - everyone showed off their speed and virtuosity in the brief and exhilarating finale.

At this point I have to say, as the classic BBC comedy Round The Horne used to, suddenly interrupting a cliffhanger, " and there we must leave..." because the 9th Symphony of Dvorak is in my own personal moratorium; I may need to experience good karma (on my return) before hearing it again...
                Jayne, if I remember correctly the Rite is there also, I noticed this and wonder if it might tempt to you to break your fast.......

Stravinsky: Le Sacre du printemps. Decca: 4783729. Buy download online. Bracha Eden & Alexander Tamir (piano), Güher & Süher Pekinel (piano), Vladimir Ashkenazy & Andrei Gavrilov (piano), Samuel Dushkin (violin) Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam, L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, RIAS Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra, Orchestre des cento...

Comment

• Hornspieler
                  Late Member
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

I thought the Brahms "St Anthony" was sublime. I don't believe that I've ever heard it played with more care and tenderness.

What do I like about Samuel Barber's music? The fact that it's not Aaron Copland!

However, I do think that the violin concerto is an unworthy piece. To me, it sounds too much like poor quality Hamish McGunn attempting to emulate Max Bruch's Scottish Fantasia.

I'm now listening to Dvorak's "New World" on the iPlayer. Very good so far (end of 1st movt) except that the very important flute solos are almost lost in the balance.
                  I have no idea what the acoustics are like for the audience in the Bridgewater Hall but I have, on previous occasions, found the sound balance wanting on radio reception. I'm straining my ears at the moment to hear parts of the slow movement.

The Cor Anglais should be much more in the foreground.

Going Home? Sounds like she's already got there. More woodwind please.

Nevertheless, it is obvious that this is a fine orchestra, playing under a very sensitive conductor.

HS
                  Last edited by Hornspieler; 24-10-12, 11:41. Reason: Gender change

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    Jayne, if I remember correctly the Rite is there also, I noticed this and wonder if it might tempt to you to break your fast.......

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4783729
                    I don't think there's an emoticon that could express my dread-ful apprehension... but the longer I wait, the more I'll enjoy it, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X