X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

Daniel Jones works on Ao3 w/c 15/10/12

Just an alert for anyone interested in the music of Daniel Jones (whose centenary falls this year), three of his works are being played next week on Ao3: the Cello Concerto (Monday) and two of his symphonies, nos 11 (Friday) and 12 (Wednesday). There are also rarely heard works by Erik Chisholm and Kenneth Leighton during this week.

I rarely listen continuously to Ao3 these days as it is usually a pot-pourri of works lumped together, often extracted from different concert or studio performances. The mix and match approach has affected the Lunchtime Concert, as with the Tuesday-Friday concerts for this week where works from several different concerts were jumbled up and mixed together. To my mind it makes for a much less satisfying 'concert' and I can't understand why it's increasingly preferred (in deferred broadcasts) to the traditional form.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Many thanks for the nudge, aeoli; I'd missed this in RT.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• secondfiddle
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
      Just an alert for anyone interested in the music of Daniel Jones (whose centenary falls this year), three of his works are being played next week on Ao3: the Cello Concerto (Monday) and two of his symphonies, nos 11 (Friday) and 12 (Wednesday). There are also rarely heard works by Erik Chisholm and Kenneth Leighton during this week.

I rarely listen continuously to Ao3 these days as it is usually a pot-pourri of works lumped together, often extracted from different concert or studio performances. The mix and match approach has affected the Lunchtime Concert, as with the Tuesday-Friday concerts for this week where works from several different concerts were jumbled up and mixed together. To my mind it makes for a much less satisfying 'concert' and I can't understand why it's increasingly preferred (in deferred broadcasts) to the traditional form.
      I couldn't agree more. Ao3 is a most unsatisfactory programme, especially when R3 via Radio Times can't even bother to make it clear whether one is going to hear a broadcast or - as is often the case - a recording from a commercial CD.

Nevertheless, there are occasional nuggets and Daniel Jones's Cello Concerto played this afternoon is one. A fine work, easily approachable but still serious in content with what would seem to be a very rewarding part for the soloist. Recommended to any who might have missed it.

Comment

• Gordon
        • Nov 2010

Thanks also for this heads up on Daniel Jones. His string quartets are well worth a listen. There used to be a Chandos box of them all - CHAN 9535 by the Delme.

Symphonies 6 and 9 + Country beyond the Stars - Cantata for Chorus and Orchestra are available on a Lyrita CD SRCD 326. Symphonies 4, 7 and 8 on SRCD 329 and Dance Suite on SRCD 334 [with Hoddinott and Wm Mathias].

So, nos 11 and 12 will be worth recording.

Comment

Working...
        X