• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Solo Bach on Lunchtime Concert

Lunchtime Concert from Tuesday to Friday from St. Lukes.

Cedric Tiberghien, Pieter Wispelwey, Mahan Esfahani, and Isabelle Faust
  • amateur51

What a prospect, what treats - many thanks for the alert, dovers!

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

I might just catch this one! What a line-up of artists!!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Looks like a fine week!

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

And don't forget a fine guitar recital on R3 tomorrow 1pm - live from Wigmore Hall.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Thanks for the tip, a great line-up for the week.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Indeed, not nearly enough of this sort of thing ..
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

I, too, applaud this type of programme. However, I found Tiberghien's WTC a rather lacklustre and monotone affair. I much prefer Evgeni Koroliov's approach to this work.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

the cello yesterday was very distinctive i found and enjoyable

..and the harpsichord today delectable[listened while lunch was served]
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

... yes, the Wispelwey was a delight; and Esfahani was / is on good form today. I've found him a bit wayward in the past, but today was / is a joy.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

I skipped today's harpsichord but Wispelwey grew on me. I'm used to a more 'singing' bach - his was more rapid, percussive, dare I say, 'dry'? Perhaps this is the HIP approach, but he obviously eschews over-egging the emotion in the music. I almost switched off but stuck with it and it grew on me as an approach. I still think my next set of the cello suites will be Queyras.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                        I skipped today's harpsichord but Wispelwey grew on me. I'm used to a more 'singing' bach - his was more rapid, percussive, dare I say, 'dry'? Perhaps this is the HIP approach, but he obviously eschews over-egging the emotion in the music. I almost switched off but stuck with it and it grew on me as an approach. I still think my next set of the cello suites will be Queyras.
                        Go back and listen to the harpsichord on iPlayer. You know you want to!

Wispelway has recorded the Bach suites pieces several times, and one version is at very low pitch: a=<400 Hz.

Pieter Wispelwey 392: 50th Anniversary Recording. Evil Penguin: EPRC012. Buy download online. Pieter Wispelwey (cello)

Don't you just love the name of that record label - "Evil Penguin"!

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                          • Nov 2010

Today's lunchtime concert: I missed the start but as it progressed I was wondering whether Mahan Esfahani played two different harpsichords?
                          The sound of the instrument in the Partita was much rounder and darker than the one he played in the Preludes & Fugues, which to my ears sounded rather tinny and over-percussive.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                            • Nov 2010

is it possible that the Preludes and Fugues from the '48' were played on a CLAVICHORD that was unfortunately too closely 'miked'?
                            If so, that would explain the percussive, metallic sound.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Hey, the wretched, may it rot in hell iPlayer cuts off before the end of Isabel Faust's solo Bach recital ended!
                              WHY?
                              Is there any way I can get to hear the end?

Comment

Working...
                              X