BBC Philharmonic Concert/Juanjo Mena, Bridgewater Hall, Manchester on Friday 12th Oct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

BBC Philharmonic Concert/Juanjo Mena, Bridgewater Hall, Manchester on Friday 12th Oct

Out of a choice of 3 Manchester concerts this weekend I've decided to attend the BBC Philharmonic Concert conducted by Juanjo Mena at Bridgewater Hall, Manchester this coming Friday the 12th October.

I'm looking forward to seeing Juanjo Mena conducting the BBC Phil in Mahler's Symphony No. 5 together with a performance of Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 19 K.459 played by soloist Steven Osborne.

In the absence of the Hallé who are on their China tour I was initially tempted by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra playing a relatively popular at Manchester's Bridgewater Hall this Saturday 13th but the splendid Vasily Petrenko is not conducting.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

BBC Phil, Hallé, RLPO - what it is to live among the cultural fleshpots
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AjAjAjH
      • Nov 2010

Sadly I cannot go to the concert on Saturday evening. If Janjo Mena's Mahler 5 is a good as his Mahler 2 last season, then those attending are in for a real treat. His Mahler 2 was quite the best I have ever heard and I've heard quite a number.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        BBC Phil, Hallé, RLPO - what it is to live among the cultural fleshpots

Hello french frank,

Cultural fleshpots indeed. There is also the excellent Manchester Camerata playing on this Satuday 13th Oct at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester. Spoilt for choice!

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

I have seen Juanjo Mena conduct the BBC Phil twice now. On both occasions I have not been over impressed. However, I shall reserve judgement until after he's conducted the Mahler Symphony No. 5 on Friday. That should be quite a test for him which I hope that he passes with flying colours.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            I have seen Juanjo Mena conduct the BBC Phil twice now. On both occasions I have not been over impressed. However, I shall reserve judgement until after he's conducted the Mahler Symphony No. 5 on Friday. That should be quite a test for him which I hope that he passes with flying colours.
            Agreed - as I said on the Wagner concert thread the other week, I've now seen him five times and been disappointed by some aspect of each concert. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. I'm sure Steven Osborne will play with his customary polish and elegance though!

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
              Agreed - as I said on the Wagner concert thread the other week, I've now seen him five times and been disappointed by some aspect of each concert. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. I'm sure Steven Osborne will play with his customary polish and elegance though!
              Hiya Roslynmuse,

Yes, I fully agreed with your critique of the playing of Mena's Wagner programme. I especially felt the orchestra sounded fine in blocks that were joined rtogether by untidy and uninspiring sections.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

It was a super concert by the BBC Phil at the Bridgewater Hall. I can report that Juanjo Mena's interpretation of Mahler 5 was marvellous.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                  • Jul 2011

Good to hear that. Unfortunately I didn't make it - car trouble earlier in the day put my schedule out. I look forward to catching the broadcast.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

How do members rate Juanjo Mena is shaping out
                    Last edited by BBMmk2; 14-10-12, 12:08.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• kuligin
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      It was a super concert by the BBC Phil at the Bridgewater Hall. I can report that Juanjo Mena's interpretation of Mahler 5 was marvellous.
                      I totally agree, this was the best I have heard from the BBC Philharmonic for many years, and Mena gave the best reading I have heard of this Symphony!

Well I have to admit I have only heard it twice before live, but still he seems on this showing to have transformed the spirit of the orchestra,they actually seemed to enjoy playing the piece, and while occasionally it was a little rough there were excellent contributions from the first horn, and first trumpet and the woodwind generally

The Mozart was beautifully played by Osborne, his encore of a Beethoven bagatelle was a treat, the orchestra was a little too large for my taste and the woodwind a little too reticent, which was certainly not the case in the Mahler

Overall a superb concert

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kuligin View Post
                        I totally agree, this was the best I have heard from the BBC Philharmonic for many years, and Mena gave the best reading I have heard of this Symphony!

Well I have to admit I have only heard it twice before live, but still he seems on this showing to have transformed the spirit of the orchestra,they actually seemed to enjoy playing the piece, and while occasionally it was a little rough there were excellent contributions from the first horn, and first trumpet and the woodwind generally

The Mozart was beautifully played by Osborne, his encore of a Beethoven bagatelle was a treat, the orchestra was a little too large for my taste and the woodwind a little too reticent, which was certainly not the case in the Mahler

Overall a superb concert
                        Hiya kuligin,

I said in my review of the concert that although I had some doubts about maestro Jena I was mightily impressed with his Mahler 5. I slightly disagree with you about the Mozart Piano Concerto No. 19 which suited me and I thought was splendidly played too. Classical restraint rather than late-Romantic opulence seems to suit Steven Osborne much better.

Comment

Working...
                        X