Live in Concert: BBCScottish S O: Rachmaninoff and Wagner: Thursday 27 September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Three!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

... but HS is quite right: Wagner didn't intend his works to be heard in this way. Sadly, there seem to be so very few singers who have the voices to carry across a stage and over an orchestra pit without shreiking and/or skwarking. Putting them in front of the orchestra (I originally wrote "Musicians" which shows my priorities!) is a way of ensuring that they sing the notes, rather than shout them.

And, at least in Leeds, the semi-staged production ensured that the singers weren't "on a level" all the time. And Richard Farnes' grasp of the Music! And that superb orchestra!!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        ... but HS is quite right: Wagner didn't intend his works to be heard in this way.
        True, he intended them to be heard in a building he created on a hill in Bayreuth but I'll wait a lifetime to get a ticket for that, so Leeds Town Hall does just fine

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          ... but HS is quite right: Wagner didn't intend his works to be heard in this way. ....
          No. But he did not intend them being produced in the way many directors nowadays think they should either

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            . . . I'd go so far as to say that I prefer my Ring done this way these days because you don't have to cope with the diector's imagination and the whole thing tends to move along at a cracking pace
            In other words: Good-bye to Gesamtkunstwerk.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              No. But he did not intend them being produced in the way many directors nowadays think they should either

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                In other words: Good-bye to Gesamtkunstwerk.
                Good-bye to Gesamtkunstwerk, Farewell Leicester Square, It's A Long Long Way to Götterdämmerung, But My Heart's Right There

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Good-bye to Gesamtkunstwerk, Farewell Leicester Square, It's A Long Long Way to Götterdämmerung, But My Heart's Right There

... and the use of video projection in Leeds adds a little more "gesam" to the "kunstwerk"!

Comment

• Colonel Danby
                    • Nov 2010

I don't have anything against concert performances of operatic works, even single acts or heaven forfend "bleeding chunks", but I don't think you can beat a visit to the opera house for a staged version of the whole thing. I too was there for Haitink's concert adaptation of the whole 'Ring' cycle over 6 days in Birmingham while the House was closed (1997?) with a stellar cast including Jerusalem, big John Tomlinson etc but it wasn't as sensational as Uncle Bernie's Covent Garden performances actually on stage at the ROH, my first complete Ring thing done over a year, even if the director was Richard Jones, and I had to stand up for the whole cycle. Unbelievable, with 'Rhinegold' and 'Wälkure' done on successive nights.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Act 2 coming up on Thursday. I've booked for it, but have a nasty cough which probably won't be clear in time . What do I do - stay at home & listen on the radio, or go, & sit at the back so I can make a quick exit it I'm overcome (with the need to cough, not with emotion)? Unfortunately there aren't any loud bits I can use to hide my cough in.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                        Act 2 coming up on Thursday. I've booked for it, but have a nasty cough which probably won't be clear in time . What do I do - stay at home & listen on the radio, or go, & sit at the back so I can make a quick exit it I'm overcome (with the need to cough, not with emotion)? Unfortunately there aren't any loud bits I can use to hide my cough in.
                        Am I right that you've had this cough for a while, Flossie?

Or is it a new one?

Or am I mistaken?

Whatever, if you've got a cough, I hope that you get over it soon & that you enjoy the performance

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

A new one, started last Monday. I did have a cold about 3 weeks ago - I'm not sure if it went away, or if I managed to suppres it because I was very busy & it's now come out again.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
                            :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

re Rachmaninov Isle of the Dead

(Is there a smiley for this on this site?)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              A new one, started last Monday. I did have a cold about 3 weeks ago - I'm not sure if it went away, or if I managed to suppres it because I was very busy & it's now come out again.
                              Take lots of unwrapped sweets & hope that the magic of Wagner cures you

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Take lots of unwrapped sweets & hope that the magic of Wagner cures you
                                ...and no Tchaicoughsky!

Comment

Working...
                                X