• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Hallé/Sir Mark Elder - Thursday 20th September

Presented by Tom McKinney

Mark Elder and the Hallé are joined by Sunwook Kim in Brahms' Second Piano Concerto. After the interval: Sibelius' Second Symphony.
    In 2006, at the age of just eighteen, Korean pianist Sunwook Kim became the youngest winner of the prestigious Leeds International Piano Competition for forty years. In these concerts he joins Sir Mark Elder and the Hallé for a performance of Brahms's majestic Second Piano Concerto, a work that will showcase both his refined sense of lyricism and immaculate technique. After the interval comes Sibelius's powerful and romantic Second Symphony. Though the composer denied it was his 'Liberation Symphony' - a piece depicting Finnish resistance to Russian imperialism - a sense of epic struggle lies at its core.

Brahms Piano Concerto No.2
    8.15: Interval
    Sibelius Symphony No.2

Sunwook Kim, piano
    Hallé
    Sir Mark Elder, conductor

Another chance to make a direct comparison with the recent Proms performances.

HS
    Last edited by Hornspieler; 19-09-12, 09:01. Reason: Title error
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
    Presented by Tom McKinney

Mark Elder and the Hallé are joined by Sunwook Kim in Brahms' Second Piano Concerto. After the interval: Sibelius' Second Symphony.
    In 2006, at the age of just eighteen, Korean pianist Sunwook Kim became the youngest winner of the prestigious Leeds International Piano Competition for forty years. In these concerts he joins Sir Mark Elder and the Hallé for a performance of Brahms's majestic Second Piano Concerto, a work that will showcase both his refined sense of lyricism and immaculate technique. After the interval comes Sibelius's powerful and romantic Second Symphony. Though the composer denied it was his 'Liberation Symphony' - a piece depicting Finnish resistance to Russian imperialism - a sense of epic struggle lies at its core.

Brahms Piano Concerto No.2
    8.15: Interval
    Sibelius Symphony No.2

Sunwook Kim, piano
    Hallé
    Sir Mark Elder, conductor

Another chance to make a direct comparison with the recent Proms performances.

HS
    Hiya Hornspieler,

I'm going to the Sunday performance at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester and I'm really looking forward to it.

Comment

• AjAjAjH
      • Nov 2010

Mrs AjAjAjH and I are going to the Thursday evening performance. (There's a matinee in the afternoon.)

IMHO Sir Mark Elder is one of our leading Sibelians.

Comment

• Hornspieler
        Late Member
        • Sep 2012

This piano concerto was my first encounter at age 14 with the music of Brahms. Six 12" discs of that great 1946 recording by Solomon with the Philharmonia orchestra and the horn opening played by my hero, the great Dennis Brain.
        I must have played those records more than twenty times. Mono of course but I recently acquired a a CD remake which I'm glad to say was not subjected to stereo processing.

Since that time, I myself played in it on many occasions - the greatest interpreter for me being the late Julius Katchen, sadly taken before his time.

Well, I rate tonight's performance up with the best and will certainly keep this recording.

After my disappointment with Emanuel Ax in last year's Proms, this was a very refreshing experience.

I now look forward to Mark Elder's Sibelius 2nd symphony and to see how he compares with the late Paavo Berglund as a Sibelius interpreter.

The Hallé Orchestra is sounding in good form tonight.

Happy listening

HS

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Hmmm, that perplexing vain quality in Mark Elder's conducting . . .

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            That's gobbledygook. What are you trying to tell us?

Comment

• AjAjAjH
              • Nov 2010

Gobblydegook indeed. I also just wonder what you mean. How often have you seen him and are you aware of the great work he has done since he took over at The Halle?

However, I've just got in from the concert. As Brahms' 2 is probably my favourite Piano Concerto, I have heard it in the concert hall many times. Frankel, Ohlsen, Donogue, Douglas, Brendel to name those who immediately come to mind and I have just experienced the second best performance of this wonderful work. The best being Brendel. Sunwook Kim what a pianist! Great technique - agression, passion, lyricism aplenty as and where they were needed.

But it is not just the soloist who makes a great performance of a concerto, it is also the orchestra and tonight the Halle - as HS has suggested - were on top form.
              The horns were magnificent and the solo 'cellist in the 3rd movement superb. It says something for the pianist that the orchestra immediately joined in the audience applause not just by politely tapping their bows on the stands but clapping. This was a performance which will remain long in the memory.

Sibelius 2nd Symphony - another of my favourites. Thoroughly enjoyable - great string sound, fabulous brass and yet having heard this symphony more times than I can remember in the Concert Hall, Mark Elder's interpretation was such that I was hearing things in the music that I had never noticed before.

A good start to the Halle season.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Fine work from Sir Mark in the Leeds competition last week I thought.

Tonight one was somehow much more aware of an interpreter at work, the symphony
                lacking the flow and inevitability of the finest accounts.

Have your say Mr Horn spieler !

Comment

• Hornspieler
                  Late Member
                  • Sep 2012

.....Tonight one was somehow much more aware of an interpreter at work, the symphony
                  lacking the flow and inevitability of the finest accounts.

Have your say Mr Horn spieler !
                  Good morning, Alison.

I would simply agree wholeheartedly with AjAjAjH.

A very special concert (Two in a row now. Don't forget the BBCNOW tonight)

Yes, an exceptional pianist. Very musical. Just enough rubato without pulling the music apart and great sensitivity of touch where needed.
                  AjAjAjH rightly drew attention to the horns and I would particularly praise the 3rd horn, who has the task of playing those very high solo passages in the first movement and who, together with the 4th horn, has the responsibilities of the 2nd movement while horns 1 and 2 take a rest. Then horns 1 and 2 play in that gorgeous slow movement and all four share the honours in the finale. (Perhaps the learned Mr Waldhorn would be so kind as to explain further)

The Hallé orchestra in top form

Hornspieler

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

This may be "gobbledygook" to Elder's many admirers, but to some of us who have reservations about his interpretations, I think it sums up our doubts rather succinctly. There is no way of communicating these doubts in any credible form to his admirers (performances I have thought sublime are quite regularly dismissed on these threads, so I sympathise with their feelings) - but very often I find this artist's work self-regarding and affected. Nothing to get perplexed about - just pity my lack of taste!
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Hornspieler
                      Late Member
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      This may be "gobbledygook" to Elder's many admirers, but to some of us who have reservations about his interpretations, I think it sums up our doubts rather succinctly. There is no way of communicating these doubts in any credible form to his admirers (performances I have thought sublime are quite regularly dismissed on these threads, so I sympathise with their feelings) - but very often I find this artist's work self-regarding and affected. Nothing to get perplexed about - just pity my lack of taste!
                      Exactly what I feel about Daniel Barenboim, which has aroused to much ire from his admirers - but let's move on and discuss the subject of this thread.

Sir Mark Elder

I have given him my personal nickname "The Elder States-Man" because of his pre-overture lectures, which I thought went on a little too long on some occasions. He was highly recommended to me by one of my students when he was still involved in music at, I think, the University of Essex circa 1975.

I have never seen him conduct, (I have )watched DB on many occasions) so I cannot comment on his conducting style or his ability to ensure good ensemble from the players; whether by means of baton, or wobbling fingers, or sheer mental dominance (as was the case with such as Dr Bruno Walter or Jascha Horenstein)

I would expect any conductor to have communicated his personal interpretation of the music during rehearsal and to have adjusted his wishes to conform with those of the soloist on the night.

Last night's concerto certainly conveyed to me that it was certainly the case and a magnificent performance by both soloist and orchestra was the result.

If we all liked the same thing, the repertoire would soon wear thin - especially for the players.

Hornspieler

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Exactly what I feel about Daniel Barenboim, which has aroused to much ire from his admirers - but let's move on and discuss the subject of this thread.

Sir Mark Elder
                        But I was discussing this knight of the realm!

(I have )watched DB on many occasions)
                        An unusual way of "moving on", HS.

FWiW, I have attended many concerts directed by Elder - one of them is the only concert I've ever left during the interval, so unimpressed was I with the performance. But I would never, let us say, disguise my antipathy to his interpretations by claiming that he wasn't a "regular" conductor. (DB couldn't be more regular if he put prunes on his All Bran!)

Comment

• Hornspieler
                          Late Member
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          But I was discussing this knight of the realm!

FWiW, I have attended many concerts directed by Elder - one of them is the only concert I've ever left during the interval, so unimpressed was I with the performance. But I would never, let us say, disguise my antipathy to his interpretations by claiming that he wasn't a "regular" conductor. (DB couldn't be more regular if he put prunes on his All Bran!)
                          So I happily accept your opinion, FHG, as I am in no position to comment upon Sir Mark Elder's abilities as a conductor (but the Hallé orchestra is sounding pretty good these days and I welcome the fact)

HS

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

the Hallé orchestra is sounding pretty good these days and I welcome the fact)
                            HS
                            Absolutely no arguing with that, HS!

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

I've only been to a couple of Sir Mark concerts. Plenty of him on the wireless though.

Comment

Working...
                              X