• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Wagner, Sibelius and Tchaikowsky Tonight 18th

Wagner, Sibelius
    Radio 3 Live in Concert, Tuesday 18 September 2012 from Cadogan Hall, London.

Presented by Martin Handley.

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra begin their new London season with Wagner's exhilarating Overture to The Flying Dutchman. The Violin Concerto by Sibelius is among his best-loved works, combining passionate lyricism and dazzling display with more than a hint of Mediterranean. The Concerto finds an exciting exponent in violinist Jack Liebeck, winner of the 2010 Classical BRIT Award for 'Young British Performer of the Year'.
    Tchaikovsky's Fourth Symphony is one of his most powerful works, charting an intense struggle against the caprices of Fate, culminating in an electrifying finale in which the battle seems to have been won.

Wagner: Overture - The Flying Dutchman
    Sibelius: Violin Concerto
    INTERVAL
    Tchaikowsky: Symphony Nº 4 in F minor

Jack Liebeck, violin
    Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
    Enrique Bátiz, conductor.

Don't miss it!

HS
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for the cue, HS. I've deleted your duplicate thread before it gets complcated.

I agree. Three wonderful works.

Comment

• AjAjAjH
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Three wonderful works.
      I agree 3 wonderful works but, O dear, what a scrapey 3rd movement of the Sibelius. Did it really merit an encore?

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
        I agree 3 wonderful works but, O dear, what a scrapey 3rd movement of the Sibelius. Did it really merit an encore?
        I've just realised why I've gone off Sib's VC - it's scrapey!

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
          Perhaps they felt they should have a second go at it . I liked Liebeck's account when he played it with Petrenko and the RLPO a couple of years back.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I gave up half way through the Sibelius, normally one of my favourite VCs. I tried several radios and the TV but could only hear the soloist and the orchestra seemed in another building altogether. I'll try Iplayer later if I have time.

Comment

• Hornspieler
              Late Member
              • Sep 2012

The first thing to draw my attention was the incredibly "clean" sound from the Cadogan Hall after 6 weeks of suffering the muddy Albert Hall acoustics.

I thought the Wagner was a very good performance - and fresh for me because it does not get played nearly as often as Maestersinger, Rienzi or Tannhauser.

The Sibelius started badly, soundwise. Did the audio manager forget to fade up the soloist's microphone until he heard the woodwind join in?

I've heard many inferior performances - the second movement was tenderly played; but Jack Liebeck is no "Ida Haendel" and that was all too obvious in the finale.

Stephen Johnson's interval talk was fascinating. I must have played that symphony more times than any other and to learn for the first time about all those changes of key in the opening bars was a revelation.

The symphony itself began well but started to deteriorate towards the end of the third movement and I thought that Senor Bátiz had completely lost control in the finale.

Disappointing after the build up in my expectations, but at least, nobody coughed, no-one clapped between movements, no-one shouted "Bravo" before the last notes had died away and Martin Handley did not gush or tell us that we enjoyed ourselves as much as the audience.

It's nice to get away from all the Proms hype and return to the Performance Forum.

Hornspieler

Comment

• edashtav
                • Jul 2012

The Blind Lead the Blind at Radio 3

Has anyone looked at the Radio 3 Schedule page link to this concert?

Now name the Concert Hall in the Beeb's image!

No it's NOT the Cadogan Hall.

No wonder the programme commenced with The Flying Dutchman

Maybe, a vintage Handley-Page aircraft took the announcer, Martin Handley, to & fro from Northern Ireland.

Comment

Working...
                X