X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moeranbiogman
    • Sep 2024

George Hurst RIP

Has anyone else heard about the passing of George Hurst? Fond memories of his Elgar recordings. RIP
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

No. Sorry to hear about this, though I have to say I thought he was somebody who had already gone ahead. Are any of his recordings still available? There were several for Naxos, IIRC.

Comment

• moeranbiogman

Two for CHANDOS: 6582 Elgar Starlight Express/Arthur suites; 8432 Vaughan Williams (Sea Songs/Charterhouse Suite etc) and Elgar (Sospiri etc)

For NAXOS: 8.553564 Elgar Enigma Variations, 'In the South' and Coronation March.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by moeranbiogman View Post
        Two for CHANDOS: 6582 Elgar Starlight Express/Arthur suites; 8432 Vaughan Williams (Sea Songs/Charterhouse Suite etc) and Elgar (Sospiri etc)

For NAXOS: 8.553564 Elgar Enigma Variations, 'In the South' and Coronation March.
        I used to see him in live concerts regularly in the 1960s, when he conducted many of the BBC Norther Orchestra's Midday Proms in Manchestsr Town Hall, as they were broadcast live on the the Music Programme (precursor of Radio 3).

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by moeranbiogman View Post

There may be other recordings, not so widely available, which are available as used items, such as this of Elgar's First Symphony. Did he ever record Elgar 2?

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I used to see him in live concerts regularly in the 1960s, when he conducted many of the BBC Norther Orchestra's Midday Proms in Manchestsr Town Hall, as they were broadcast live on the the Music Programme (precursor of Radio 3).
            I am sure you mean the Third Programme, which certainly had far more than just music, as Radio 3 sometimes does these days.

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              There may be other recordings, not so widely available, which are available as used items, such as this of Elgar's First Symphony. Did he ever record Elgar 2?
              I heard that he only got Elgar 1 because Edward Downes was contemptuous of it and refused to record it for Naxos after doing no. 2. But George Hurst was a fine conductor anyway, and produced a good recording.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alf-Prufrock View Post
                I am sure you mean the Third Programme, which certainly had far more than just music, as Radio 3 sometimes does these days.
                At that time, the Third Programme began at 6.00 p.m. The Music Programme was introduced as a daytime classical music service in the 1960s, but was suspended for Test Match Special for a number of days during the summer.

Comment

• AjAjAjH
                  • Nov 2010

George Hurst was Conductor of the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra whilst I was in college in Bristol. Mrs AjAjAjH and I did our 'courting' in the Colston Hall listening to said orchestra.

I remember him conducting a performance of Stravinsky's 'Rite of Spring' in Bristol. My first live performance and I seem to remember it was the orchestra's as well. My best memory of him, however, was of him standing in at short notice to conduct- I don't know for whom- the BBCSO and an array of choirs and Gerald English in Berlioz's 'Grand Messe Des Morts' at the Proms in August 1967. A magnificent performance. George Hurst made a great impact on my musical experience.

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    At that time, the Third Programme began at 6.00 p.m. The Music Programme was introduced as a daytime classical music service in the 1960s, but was suspended for Test Match Special for a number of days during the summer.
                    Thanks very much for that information, and my apologies for doubting it. I had completely forgotten that was the case until you jogged my memory. Sorry, EAS.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Sad news . That marvellous Elgar 1 for Naxos is a worthy testament to his skill .

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I heard that he only got Elgar 1 because Edward Downes was contemptuous of it and refused to record it for Naxos after doing no. 2. But George Hurst was a fine conductor anyway, and produced a good recording.
                        That sounds like an apocryphal story - especially as Hurst's Elgar 1 was recorded in early 1992 and the Downes Elgar 2 nearly a year later .

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Surely a Jonny Mac response is needed if that was true and Downes goes down in my estimation if it is true. I remember him for many good radio concerts with the BBC Northern back in the 70s.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

And I'd heard that Hurst couldn't record the 2nd Symphony because he was ill, so Ted Downes stepped in at short notice (the 1st was recorded before the 2nd). It reminded me at the time that Barbirolli had started his conducting career when he stepped in for (?) Beecham at short notice in ... Elgar 2.
                            Last edited by Pabmusic; 17-09-12, 00:49.

Comment

Working...
                            X