X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton
    • Sep 2024

Khatia Buniatishvili

Did anyone else hear this at lunchtime? I only tuned in in time for the Appassionata. I tried to think of an adjective worthy of Dr Sarah Walker to describe it, and "prestidigitatious" was the best I could come up with . Talk about fast. You couldn't fit a Rizla between the notes.

The presenter/announcer afterwards (it may have been Penny Gore) wisely refrained from comment.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Did anyone else hear this at lunchtime? I only tuned in in time for the Appassionata. I tried to think of an adjective worthy of Dr Sarah Walker to describe it, and "prestidigitatious" was the best I could come up with . Talk about fast. You couldn't fit a Rizla between the notes.

The presenter/announcer afterwards (it may have been Penny Gore) wisely refrained from comment.
    I'll skedaddle to iPlayer pronto RT - I really want to like her; she has received praise from artists whom I admire (Argerich, Kovacevich) but so far all I hear is speed and recklessness aplenty

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      I'll skedaddle to iPlayer pronto RT - I really want to like her; she has received praise from artists whom I admire (Argerich, Kovacevich) but so far all I hear is speed and recklessness aplenty
      Likewise Ams, I treasure SK's Beethoven....She sounded like Argerich on speed.....

Comment

• amateur51

I realise now that this concert is a repeat of one given last year. I really didn't enjoy it because of the undue speed you & I have mentioned already, RT

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

No real conviction to the performances. It was as if the excessive speeds masked the lack of any rapport with the music.

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

As I was up to my neck in other work I only caught about two minutes of something which sounded vaguely like Beethoven - as indeed confirmed by the Radio Times. That particular bit wasn't fast and furious - but soooooo slow that it was difficult to make out the composer. Got to listen to it on iPlayer! Having praised her in the past for her individual voice - well, let's listen first.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• rauschwerk
              • Nov 2010

The first movement of Op 31/2 was enough from me. She seemed to be playing from a special edition from which most of the dynamics and all the sforzati had been expunged.

When I hear playing like this I recall Tovey's injunction to "..trust Beethoven and play what he tells you..." or words to that effect.

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

Khatia - the Usain Bolt of the pianoforte, surely the fastest final movt of the Appassionata ever. Just like UB she really got into her stride in the latter part of the race/movement.

Comment

Working...
                X