X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Edinburgh Festival 2012

I've booked for Charpentier's David et Jonathas, performed by Les Arts Florissants; Purcell's King Arthur, The Sixteen (concert performance only, unfortunately); Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester conducted by Daniele Gatti in Wagner & Mahler Symphony 7; & RSNO doing Belshazzar's Feast. Plenty of other things I'd like to go to (Opera North's new production of The Makropulos Case for example) if time & money permit.

Anybody else planning on going to anything?
  • HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

Philharmonia/Salonen (Bruckner 4 etc); RSNO/Robertson (Morton Feldman's Coptic Light - yay!; Belshazzar's Feast); Australian CO/Tognetti (CPE Bach, Vasks, Scelsi); Emersons (Mozart, Adès, Beethoven) - all I've time for this year. Other half refused to go to two short operas (Huw Watkins; Stuart MacRae)

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

I'm toying with the idea of going through for the 2nd Cleveland Orchestra concert on the 22nd - more for the Lutoslawski Piano Concerto and Shostakovitch 6 than for the Smetana. There still seem to be tickets left, but I'd either have to take a day off work or get a rush hour train, which is ludicrously expensive.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

That is a problem - getting the post-rush hour train is cutting it a bit fine. Scotrail made a great fuss over putting on late trains from Edinburgh during the Festival; perhaps they could allow people with tickets to have cheap day returns on the rush hour trains so that they can take advantage of the late trains.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Fringe, 29 August, 4.00 p.m. St. Michael and All Saints: Simon Smith, piano.

In another place, that would go in the Down the Shameless Plughole thread but I've put it here as there isn't one such on this forum; hope that's aceptable...

Comment

• Orphical
            • Nov 2011

Yes ahinton i shall be attending both of Simon's recitals. Have heard him many times. His first recital at the same venue on 22nd Auigust is an all Stockhausen programme. Ideal preparation for Birmingham and Mittwoch which i'm attending on the 24th.

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

Edinburgh Festival on Radio3

None of the concerts mentioned above, but Radio3 is broadcasting some of the concerts from Monday 13th at 11.00am.

Comment

• RobertLeDiable

Makropoulos Case, definitely, and I'd like to get to at least one of the Cleveland Orchestra concerts and the EU Youth Orchestra with the Busoni Piano Concerto if I can. Possibly also Salonon/Philharmonia with Unsuk Chin's Violin Concerto and Bruckner 4. I can't imagine David Robertson's Belshazzar's Feast will be anything other than clinical and uninvolving so I won't go to the closing concert, nor will I be tempted by Gergiev/LSO doing Brahms symphonies - awful idea.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by RobertLeDiable View Post
                  I can't imagine David Robertson's Belshazzar's Feast will be anything other than clinical and uninvolving
                  I know what you mean but he can sometimes pull out the stops - I've heard him conduct a pretty involving Turangalila. Anyway, it's the Feldman I'm going for

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Orphical View Post
                    Yes ahinton i shall be attending both of Simon's recitals. Have heard him many times. His first recital at the same venue on 22nd Auigust is an all Stockhausen programme. Ideal preparation for Birmingham and Mittwoch which i'm attending on the 24th.
                    Then you have an addvantage over me, as I have not yet heard him at all; sadly, I think it unlikely that I will be able to attend, much as I'd like to.

Comment

• Orphical
                      • Nov 2011

Makropoulos Case well worth it. Very good, straightforward production, finely sung.

Comment

• aeolium
                        • Nov 2010

I won't be able to get to any of the EIF performances unfortunately but will be listening to as many of the R3 broadcasts as I can, and there's a superb programme coming live from the Queen's Hall at 11.00 today: two masterpieces of the string trio repertoire played by Frank Peter Zimmerman, Antoine Tamestit and Christian Poltéra.

Comment

• doversoul1
                          Ex Member
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                          I won't be able to get to any of the EIF performances unfortunately but will be listening to as many of the R3 broadcasts as I can, and there's a superb programme coming live from the Queen's Hall at 11.00 today: two masterpieces of the string trio repertoire played by Frank Peter Zimmerman, Antoine Tamestit and Christian Poltéra.
                          …plus:
                          Wednesday 15
                          Les Vents Français, an ensemble featuring five of the world's top wind players make their Festival debut live from the Queen's Hall with a charmingly witty programme of mostly french music by Ibert, Ravel, Barber, Milhaud, Zemlinsky and Taffanel
                          Les Vents Francais perform music by Ibert, Ravel, Barber, Milhaud, Zemlinsky and Taffanel.

Thursday 16
                          Leif Ove Andsnes plats Beethoven and Chopin
                          Leif Ove Andsnes (piano) in Beethoven: Sonatas Nos 21 and 2, plus music by Chopin.

Friday 17th
                          Leonidas Kavakos teams up with the brilliant Russian pianist Nikolai Lugansky for sonatas by Janáçek, Brahms, Stravinsky and Respighi
                          Leonidas Kavakos (violin) performs sonatas by Janacek, Brahms, Stravinsky, Respighi.

Chamber music at its most glorious. Do catch it before it disappears.

Comment

• PJPJ
                            • Nov 2010

If you missed today's 11am concert by Daniil Trifonov, it's well worth catching up on iPlayer...........
                            Last edited by PJPJ; 24-08-12, 16:20. Reason: speeling

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                              If you missed today's 11am concert by Daniil Trifanov, it's well worth catching up on iPlayer...........

Comment

Working...
                              X