X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Hazelwood's Mozart

That frequent visitor to the messageboards, Charles Hazelwood, is on BBC 4 this Friday, examining Mozart's K466 piano concerto. It may well worth be watching for Ronald Brautigam, who has just begun a cycle for BIS, though under a different conductor!

Conductor Charles Hazlewood analyses Mozart's Piano Concerto in D Minor K466.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    That frequent visitor to the messageboards, Charles Hazelwood, is on BBC 4 this Friday, examining Mozart's K466 piano concerto. It may well worth be watching for Ronald Brautigam, who has just begun a cycle for BIS, though under a different conductor!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074q2q
    Many thanks for this, MickyD

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

When the pair of them did a BBC television programme on the Beethoven G major concerto, that was very well done from a wider audience point of view, I though. Indeed, I listen to the recording of the complete performance from that programme fairly often. It makes for an interesting comparison with Brautigam's recording (this time using modern, beefed up, instruments, while maintaining the essentially chamber style) with Parrott and the Norrköping Symphony Orchestra on a BIS SACD.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Damn it! I forgot about the Mozart Uncovered on BBC4 until it was well into the first movement of the concerto performance, and there is no early hours repeat.

If anyone here happened to record it to hard drive of DVD I would be most grateful to hear from them by personal message. Meantime it has to be the low definition iPlayer version.

Didn't Charlie look much younger back when that was done?

Comment

• Chris Newman
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Sorry, Bryn. I did not record it. I shall indeed watch it again on iPlayer. It reminded me of those excellent programmes that Ivor Keys used to give on BBC2 back in the days when David Attenborough made it an important channel. If the BBC wishes to fulfill its charter it should do programmes like that regularly. To make them doubly valuable the soundtracks of such programmes could be used on Sunday evenings on Radio 3. Proselytisation, wot!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

well prompted by this thread i watched the prog on iplayer .... found both explanation and performance somewhat cursory and unengaging - party tricks from a clever kid for his dad with a touch of teenage defiance seemed the gist of it, the musical analysis was not clear to me in any way that distinguished the work as an individual piece ...some illumination ... but by the middle of the third movement i had lost interest, was reading and found it irritating so hit the stop button ... happily i became entranced by the young jazz pianist Craig Taborn ....
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Surely by now we should get Charles Hazlewood's name right. It seems that we never 'quite' take him seriously
              enough. Is it his rather strange fashion sense or something else? He's a very good musician.
              Last edited by salymap; 11-01-11, 20:29. Reason: somethong altered.

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

I stand corrected, Salymap and apologies to Mr.H. I think the reason why I always get his name wrong is because I used to live in a road called Hazelwood Drive!

Comment

Working...
                X