X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    • Jun 2024

BBC Philharmonic. Haydn, Beethoven, Bruckner Tonight 9th July

I'm really enjoying this concert so far. Some very tidy playing. A fine piano soloist (Martin Roscoe) and a Bruckner 6th symphony still to come.

Is anyone else listening?

This new chief conductor seems pretty good.

HS
  • amateur51

Live from the Philharmonic Studios at MediaCityUK.

Presented by Adam Tomlinson

The BBC Philharmonic play under the baton of their Chief Conductor, Juanjo Mena. The concert opens with Haydn's Windsor Castle Overture. Martin Roscoe, who is performing all of the Beethoven piano concertos with the orchestra, plays the second Concerto. After the interval is Bruckner's affirmative sixth Symphony.

Haydn: Windsor Castle - Overture
    Beethoven: Piano Concerto No.2

8.10 Interval - Twenty Minutes (see separate billing)

Bruckner: Symphony No.6

Martin Roscoe (piano)
    BBC Philharmonic Orchestra
    Juanjo Mena (conductor)

Comment

• AjAjAjH
      • Nov 2010

I have heard Juanjo Mena and the BBC Philharmonic play both Bruckner 6 & 7. Very good performances which got good reviews. Clearly Bruckner is close to this conductor's heart and I'm looking forward to their Bruckner 9 next season.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I'm afraid I've never heard of that Haydn Overture, enjoyed the Beethoven 2nd PC, my favourite, went to bed so missed the Bruckner 6th. Shame

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by salymap View Post
          I'm afraid I've never heard of that Haydn Overture, enjoyed the Beethoven 2nd PC, my favourite, went to bed so missed the Bruckner 6th. Shame
          It took me some time before the penny dropped, but the Windsor Castle Overture is just another title of an opera overture of Haydn's, L'Isola disabitata (not that we hear THAT work often ).

These works -the overtures as well as the operas- are shamefully neglected. It's not the musical contents that are to be blamed for this. (Unfortunately nearly all opera libretti Haydn was obliged to set to music are hardly up to scratch - at least not compared with the Da Ponte libretti Mozart used).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            These works -the overtures as well as the operas- are shamefully neglected. It's not the musical contents that are to be blamed for this. (Unfortunately nearly all opera libretti Haydn was obliged to set to music are hardly up to scratch - at least not compared with the Da Ponte libretti Mozart used).
            There aren't s enough, Roehre!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

It took me some time before the penny dropped, but the Windsor Castle Overture is just another title of an opera overture of Haydn's, L'Isola disabitata (not that we hear THAT work often ).

Many thanks Roehre. I looked with disbelief in my Breitkopf catalogue - yes the Deserted Island is there, didn't recall the music though

Comment

• JohnSkelton

L'Isola disabitata is a bit of an oddity (though an interesting one). IIRC it's mainly written in 'heightened', orchestra accompanied, recitative.

I've caught up with the Beethoven concerto - very enjoyable. Martin Roscoe is a superb pianist (good to see him getting wider recognition).

Comment

• PJPJ
                  • Nov 2010

Excellent concert I think, and in excellent sound from Salford. The Bruckner was paced so well by Juanjo Mena and the BBC PO, and he knew where he was going with it - some get lost in the undergrowth.....

You'll find Mena on Naxos as Juan Jose Mena.

PS If you missed it, do try catching up on iPlayer.

Comment

• beakon

And for those of us who unavoidably missed it, I think they are recording the Bruckner for download ...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Sounds like another visit to iplayer. When this new condiuctor of the BBCPO started, wasn't their some misgiuviunbgs? Sounds as though this orchestra will be going to new heights under this maestro?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• verismissimo
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        some misgiuviunbgs?
                        Think that's a new benchmark, BBM.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010