• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Schonbrunn Summer Night Concert from Vienna

What a beautiful setting for a concert. I suspect BBC4 viewers get better sound than those in the live audience as the sound they hear is largely through tinny loudspeakers (if similar events in the UK are anything to go by). but any opportunity to hear and see the VPO is worthwhile.
    it's a pity the BBC have to put a picture of the presenter above the listings, as though Katy Derham is more important than the music, the orchestra and the conductor. Don't let us blame KD. It's the people higher up the food-chain who are to blame. However, do blame her for confusing the VSO with the VPO.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Oh, no. She still thinks the VPO is the Vienna Symphony Orchestra.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

I've enjoyed every minute of it. Very cheering on a horrible rainy day. It was apparently not raining in Vienna when it was recorded in early June.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Oh, no. She still thinks the VPO is the Vienna Symphony Orchestra.
        Oh, dear. That does slightly suggest that the VPO is not an orchestra with which she is wholly familiar
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Thanks for the reminder - so much going on here that I completely forgot to record it - must try iPlayer unless it is to be repeated.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

We've just acquired a new HD TV with all the bells and whistles, and watched it with the digital sound output through my Meridian system, and it looked and sounded superb. As there were several women players in the orchestra, I think that it probably was an "only partial" VPO, so the comments about the Vienna Symphony Orchestra could be correct.
            Naturally, the sound in the glass roofed concert shell was very dry, but the balance was pretty good. Dudamel lingered rather too much for me in the slower sections, but considering the situation La Mer came off pretty well. Maybe you needed to close your eyes from time to time to dodge the laser beams, but all in all it was very enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
            X