X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    • Sep 2024

Stunning Sibelius Violin Concerto

I have just finished watching (and recording) the best performance of this taxing work since Ida Haendel played it with Paavo Berglund and the Bournemouth Orchestra.

Vladimir Ashkenazy and The Chamber Orchestra of Europe accompanying Valeriy Sokolov. This young man appears to have total mastery of his instrument and a total understanding of this concerto.

But that is not all. I missed part of the first piece of this concert; screened on Sky Arts2, Rakastava by Sibelius. Very nicely played, judging from what I heard.
    Following the concerto, Ashkenazy and the orchestra gave a captivating reading of Schumann's 2nd symphony.
    Technical brilliance all round. That difficult scherzo dashed off with fire and purpose. The slow movement was romantic verging on the erotic! (I think that I've fallen in love with that lady leading the orchestra(Lorenza Borrani) - she was really living the music throughout) And of course that stirring and triumphant finale.

Valse Triste as an encore capped a wonderful evening.

For the first time since I gave up playing the horn, I was longing to be in there, playing with them.

Look out for a repeat on SkyArts2 Tuesday, July 3rd at 14.00. I promise you won't be disappointed.

HS

Last edited by Guest; 02-07-12, 16:52. Reason: Name the lady and state the time
  • Parry1912
    • Nov 2010

On SkyArts2 again next Tuesday at 14.00, apparently.
    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Ah I keep o forgetting about this channel. I will have to tape that!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
        On SkyArts2 again next Tuesday at 14.00, apparently.
        Thank you for that Parry1912. I hope that all Sibelius fans with access to SkyArts2 will have made a note in their diaries.

I have always admired Ashkenazy as a pianist. His recordings of the Rachmaninoff concertos with Previn and the LSO set a benchmark for me, but this is the first time that I have seen (or even been aware) of him as a conductor.

In the Sibelius concerto, he was watchful and did nothing where nothing was needed, but brought out the important orchestral passages where neccesary and was a watchful and attentive accompanist.

But in the Schumann 2nd symphony, he was on fire and totally in control - drawing some fantasticand inspired playing from all sections the COE.

Then, for the encore (Valse Triste) he did little more than start the orchestra going and then, to quote the words of that great horn teacher, Frantisec Szolc, " ... he gave the orchestra his blessing."

What a musician!

HS

Comment

• amateur51

For those of us without access to SkyArts2 the concert is available in chunks on youtube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
            ...but this is the first time that I have seen (or even been aware) of him as a conductor.
            He's been conducting for 20+ years HS; IIRC arthritis/tendonitis or something kept him away from the piano for some time. Early on he was principal conductor of the RPO, he's conductor laureate of the Philharmonia, music director of the European Youth Orchestra & recently has lifted the Sydney Symphony Orhestra to dizzying heights.

I've always consdered him a musician of great insight & integrity. Does he still perform wearing his trademark white turtle neck shirt?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
              He's been conducting for 20+ years HS; IIRC arthritis/tendonitis or something kept him away from the piano for some time. Early on he was principal conductor of the RPO, he's conductor laureate of the Philharmonia, music director of the European Youth Orchestra & recently has lifted the Sydney Symphony Orhestra to dizzying heights.

I've always consdered him a musician of great insight & integrity. Does he still perform wearing his trademark white turtle neck shirt?
              He does indeed, Osborn

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Hornspieler

TODAY 3rd July at 14.00 on SkyArts2. Be sure not to miss it.

performance by Ashkenazy and the European Chamber Orchestra.

Electrifying playing by Valeriy Sokolov in the Sibelius concerto.

HS

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                  • Mar 2007

Thank you for the 'heads up', Hornspieler. The Sibelius Concerto is one of my absolute favourites, so I've programmed the Sky+ box accordingly.
                  Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Northender

Ashkenazy's set of the Sibelius symphonies some 30 years ago with the Philharmonia has frequently been recommended as the best all-round choice and can probably be bought these days for a fraction of what I paid (if memory serves, £32 for 4 CDs).

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                      Thank you for the 'heads up', Hornspieler. The Sibelius Concerto is one of my absolute favourites, so I've programmed the Sky+ box accordingly.
                      As have I. In fact I'm stockpiling all sorts of things to listen to and watch during the Olympics

Comment

• Ariosto

Can anyone tell me if Valery Sokalov is the son of the great Russian pianist Grigory Sokalov? I seem to remember that he might be, but can't find anything on the Internet to confirm this.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                          Can anyone tell me if Valery Sokalov is the son of the great Russian pianist Grigory Sokalov? I seem to remember that he might be, but can't find anything on the Internet to confirm this.
                          I don't think that they are related Ariosto, in that neither's bio on wiki mentions the other

However the shared family name is spelled Sokolov

Comment

• Northender

Grigory was born in Russia (St Petersburg), Valeriy in Ukraine (Kharkov). I don't know whether or not this makes it less likely that they're related.

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

He's playing the Ravel vln sonata on R3 today. Recorded concert from Bath Festival, starting at 1pm.

Woops,and Debussy vln sonata.. in haste..........

Comment

Working...
                              X