X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ariosto

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
    No horn player is 'overpaid'...!

They often got the best girls too ... must have been their lip technique - all that double tonguing ... circular breathing ...

Comment

• Tony Halstead
      • Nov 2010

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

I used to have a girlfriend who played the french horn
        but every time she kissed me she put her right hand ....................

(my coat is on)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Pabs (#12) & HS (#13):

Do I take it, then, that the Horn parts are in E and C, but all the players just use chromatic instruments "in F" and transpose as they play?

Mr GG; you think you had problems! Just imagine going out with a ventriloquist! (Very rude "lip-moving" reference removed.)
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Do I take it, then, that the Horn parts are in E and C, but all the players just use chromatic instruments "in F" and transpose as they play?
            Of course if you used a flugel for the solo at the end of The New World it would be a walk in the park and most conductors wouldn't notice anyway (or get a descant horn ............ ) I feel a trip to Paxmans coming on (not that I can actually afford anything )

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              Originally Posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte

Do I take it, then, that the Horn parts are in E and C, but all the players just use chromatic instruments "in F" and transpose as they play?.
              Of course if you used a flugel for the solo at the end of The New World it would be a walk in the park and most conductors wouldn't notice anyway (or get a descant horn ............ ) I feel a trip to Paxmans coming on (not that I can actually afford anything )
              With the modern instrument, normally offering F or B flat alto, it would be a choice of which side is the easier to pitch accurately, which may not be the higher instrument in some cases. Forget the Flugal horn. It is an over-weight trumpet and sounds like a cow in labour.

HS

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Pabs (#12) & HS (#13):

Mr GG; you think you had problems! Just imagine going out with a ventriloquist! (Very rude "lip-moving" reference removed.)
                Yes. The music would all be played on the same instrument, a chromatic horn pitched (probably) in F. I'm sure the group of horn players here can explain it better than I can, but a modern double horn in F and B-flat would comfortably provide all the notes Dvorak wrote in the New World. There will be many notes, too, that are available on both sides of the horn, so that the most convenient fingering, the more in-tune note, or a slightly different tone quality can be chosen. For instance, the note sounding middle C will be available either as an open G on the F side of a double horn, or as a D (1st finger? - or am I talking about 1st and 3rd?) on the B-flat side. They will have different qualities. Choosing the appropriate sound is part of the horn player's magic.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                  With the modern instrument, normally offering F or B flat alto, it would be a choice of which side is the easier to pitch accurately, which may not be the higher instrument in some cases. Forget the Flugal horn. It is an over-weight trumpet and sounds like a cow in labour.

HS
                  I think it sounds plain weak.

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                    Yes. The music would all be played on the same instrument, a chromatic horn pitched (probably) in F. I'm sure the group of horn players here can explain it better than I can, but a modern double horn in F and B-flat would comfortably provide all the notes Dvorak wrote in the New World. There will be many notes, too, that are available on both sides of the horn, so that the most convenient fingering, the more in-tune note, or a slightly different tone quality can be chosen. For instance, the note sounding middle C will be available either as an open G on the F side of a double horn, or as a D (1st finger? - or am I talking about 1st and 3rd?) on the B-flat side. They will have different qualities. Choosing the appropriate sound is part of the horn player's magic.
                    You know a lot more than you admit Pabmusic.

Let's just concentrate on that middle C;

On the B flat horn, using the 1st valve would give a slightly flat pitch. Using 1st and 3rd would be slightly sharp.

The answer? An open note played on the F horn. Perfect - and a more horn-like quality.

But remember that the modern horn is not two horns joined like reluctant Siamese twins - it is a four valved instrument and the thumb. is as much in use during a phrase as the other three valves.

HS
                    Last edited by Guest; 18-06-12, 17:03.

Comment

• Ariosto

All you guys with a sense of humour may be interested to know that some nark has reported me for my innocent remarks about circular breathing, double tonguing and the like in relation to a horn player's technique!! So you had better be careful, and remember that we are all in Sunday school, and I may be set up for a hanging in a few days time!! There is always someone!

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                        • Nov 2010

Unbelievable....
                        Thanks for the timely warning!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Unbelievable....
                          Thanks for the timely warning!

oooer mrs

Comment

• Curalach

Unbelievable....
                            Ditto!
                            Clearly someone who has sneaked off to the teacher rather than making their view known to the forum
                            When do the tickets for the hanging go on sale?

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                              Ditto!
                              Clearly someone who has sneaked off to the teacher rather than making their view known to the forum
                              When do the tickets for the hanging go on sale?
                              Fairly soon, a snip at £50 ... I'm hoping I can stretch it a bit and get some good publicity out of it, and I could just win by a kneck. I'll have to get a bigger shoulder rest and chin rest as it might increase the area between my shoulder and chin ...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                                I'm hoping I can stretch it a bit and get some good publicity out of it
                                You just can't stop yourself, can you, Ari?!

(Oh. Shove up along that gallows, would you. )
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X