X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Which Schumann cello concerto?

Right now, I'm listening to lots of cello music - but I don't know/have Schumann's concerto; I would like to obtain one - but which one? There seem to many 'out there' which on paper, look as if they'd be great choices for the most part.... dilemmas, dilemmas! Any advice as always will be very gratefully received. Rostropovich/Leningrad PO/Rozhdestvensky is in my line of sight - also it's coupled with Argerich/Washington National Orchestra in the piano concerto.... worth a punt, anyone?

Thanks, Nick
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

The Rough Guide to Classical Music (which is very good and not at all rough) recommends Starker and the Bamberg SO, cond. Russell Davies (RCA 09026 68027-2, coupled with Hindemith's cello concerto). The 2010 Penguin Guide prefers Thedeen with the Malmo SO cond. Markiz (BIS CD 486), or Kliegel with the Nat. SO of Ireland cond. Constantine (Naxos 8.550938). They only give du Pre two and half stars rather than the three for Thedeen or Kliegel, but they dont offer any criticisms; the number is EMI (ADD) 5 62803-2.

I have two recordings, both on vinyl: Andre Navarra with the Czech PO cond. Ancerl, on Supraphon, and a mono version with Rostropovich and the Moscow State Philharmonic cond. Samosud (MK label).

I dont know the recording, but I dont think you could go far wrong with du Pre. Her performance is coupled with Dvorak's cello concerto.

Personally I'm a great fan of Argerich, so in your shoes I'd probably go for the Rostropovich one.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Beautiful Mercury 35mm film one with Janos Starker, Dorati and the LSO from 1962 (c/w excellent Saint-Saens and Lalo concertos); on Testament, Maurice Gendron with the OSR and Ansermet, in mono from 1954, is also top-notch (c/w Tchaikovsky Rococo Vns.)
      I'm very fond of the piece, and these two classic performances should serve you very well.

Interesting you mention the Rozhdestvensky... on the Russian Venezia label, usually only available from HMV Japan, there's a sensational sui generis performance of the Schumann Violin Concerto, swiftly and dramatically played by Igor Oistrakh with Rozh and the USSRSO, live in 1969; it's c/w the Cello Concerto, only this time a real oddity - re-orchestrated in a bare-bones arrangement by... a certain D.Shostakovich. Don't be daunted by ordering it from Tokyo, it's a fascinating CD! (Venezia CDVE 04323).

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

Interesting you mention the Rozhdestvensky... on the Russian Venezia label, usually only available from HMV Japan, there's a sensational sui generis performance of the Schumann Violin Concerto, swiftly and dramatically played by Igor Oistrakh with Rozh and the USSRSO, live in 1969; it's c/w the Cello Concerto, only this time a real oddity - re-orchestrated in a bare-bones arrangement by... a certain D.Shostakovich. Don't be daunted by ordering it from Tokyo, it's a fascinating CD! (Venezia CDVE 04323).
        Any idea of the recording date of the cello concerto? I have a live recording of a performance of that work those very forces. The recording date is given as 30-11-1960. It's on one of the CDs in the Brilliant Classics "Legendary Russian soloists if the 20th Century" box (100 CDs). The violin concerto with Igor Oistrakh is not in the box, however.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Any idea of the recording date of the cello concerto? I have a live recording of a performance of that work those very forces. The recording date is given as 30-11-1960. It's on one of the CDs in the Brilliant Classics "Legendary Russian soloists if the 20th Century" box (100 CDs). The violin concerto with Igor Oistrakh is not in the box, however.
          A work I adore . I would strongly recommend the Du Pre/Barenboim - it is one of her best records. More recently Stephen Isserlis is superb.

Comment

• PJPJ
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
            Rostropovich/Leningrad PO/Rozhdestvensky is in my line of sight - also it's coupled with Argerich/Washington National Orchestra in the piano concerto.... worth a punt, anyone?

Thanks, Nick
            Your line of sight is in excellent condition! That Rostropovich recording is first-class (as are many others). If you can get it very cheaply do treat yourself to another bargain:

with Christophe Coin in a period performance which shouldn't frighten the horses, and the PC is excellent, too.

There are off-air performances floating about - especially impressive are concerts with Jean-Guihen Queyras.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
              Your line of sight is in excellent condition! That Rostropovich recording is first-class (as are many others). If you can get it very cheaply do treat yourself to another bargain:

with Christophe Coin in a period performance which shouldn't frighten the horses, and the PC is excellent, too.

There are off-air performances floating about - especially impressive are concerts with Jean-Guihen Queyras.
              Maisky/VPO/Bernstein or Rose/NYPO/Bernstein

Comment

• makropulos
                • Nov 2010

Lots of great recommendations already - my own favourites are Starker/Dorati (Mercury), Coin/Herreweghe (Harmonia Mundi) and Rose/Bernstein (Sony). One fascinating oddity that's also worth hearing is the Shostakovich reorchestration. It's on a Chandos disc (CHAN 9792) called The Unknown Shostakovich.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

The live Rstropovich /Britten coupled with the notorious 1968 Proms Dvorak is pretty special too.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    This DSCH reorchestration of the Schumann Cello Concerto on Venezia CDVE 04323 is dated 1983, the soloist is Feodor Luzanov, and it sounds pretty much as I'd expect from Russian recordings of that time - a studio recording, it's just a little dry and boxy (not the usual Large R&TV Moscow studio then!), but I've just played the finale and it's better than I remembered - good stereo & dynamics, musically quite urgent and compelling!

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      A work I adore . I would strongly recommend the Du Pre/Barenboim - it is one of her best records. More recently Stephen Isserlis is superb.
                      The du Pre recording is very good and I certainly prefer it to her other recordings (yes, even the Elgar) but for no-nonsense, no gimmicks, no throwing the cello at the bow and tossing the head, I would always opt for Pierre Fournier who, unlike his contemporary, Paul Tortelier, sat quite still and moved only his left hand and his bow arm; allowing the music itself to focus one's complete attention.

HS

BTW I can't comment on Rostropovitch because I have not heard him playing this particular work, but my admiration for him is unbounded.

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

I have, and love, the recordings by du Pre and Paul Tortelier. I know they can be annoying to watch but I like their playing and on CD I don't care how much they throw the cello at the bow. It's the resulting sounds that count to me

Comment

• JohnSkelton

The Coin / Orchestre des Champs Elysées / Herreweghe performance captures the intimacy of the piece very well, IMO.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                            I have, and love, the recordings by du Pre and Paul Tortelier. I know they can be annoying to watch but I like their playing and on CD I don't care how much they throw the cello at the bow. It's the resulting sounds that count to me
                            Do seek out and listen to the Fournier, however. The economy of movement is, as in the drumming of Eddie Prevost, a significant contributory factor in the musicality of the performance. The French EMI 4 CD set, "Les Introuvables de Pierre Fournier" should grace any cello enthusiast's playback system. [For the sake of 'monophobes', perhaps I should mention that the Schumann concerto, recorded in 1956, is the only stereo recording in the 4 disc set.]
                            Last edited by Bryn; 16-06-12, 11:01.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                              Right now, I'm listening to lots of cello music - but I don't know/have Schumann's concerto; I would like to obtain one - but which one? There seem to many 'out there' which on paper, look as if they'd be great choices for the most part.... dilemmas, dilemmas! Any advice as always will be very gratefully received. Rostropovich/Leningrad PO/Rozhdestvensky is in my line of sight - also it's coupled with Argerich/Washington National Orchestra in the piano concerto.... worth a punt, anyone?

Thanks, Nick
                              Hello Nick,

The recording of the Schumann cello concerto that I admire best of all is played by Heinrich Schiff and the Berlin Philharmonic OrchestraSchiff under Bernard Haitink on Philips.

Comment

Working...
                              X