• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

some reviews from Vienna

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Anyone know what the Vienna critics were saying?
    For Petrushka (M # 87), here are some reviews of the concert and the CD set that I can glean:

Wilhelm Sinkovicz, Die Presse:
    Concert: http://diepresse.com/home/kultur/kla....intern.portal
    CD: http://diepresse.com/home/kultur/kla....intern.portal

Since I'm not a German speaker, I had to resort to Google Translator. On the whole, Sinkovicz's reviews seemed favorable.

From Der Standard:
    (a) Christian Schwei has this review (353 comments from readers), generally nice, if finding FWM perhaps more in line with Josef's work in places rather than Johann II: http://derstandard.at/1293369812213/...eujahrskonzert
    (b) Ljubisa Tosic has this review (99 comments), which was again generally kind, although saying that perhaps FWM didn't get into the humor of some moments: http://derstandard.at/1293369852998/...er-Melancholie

Schwei also put the choice of the "Ritter Pasman" and Liszt "Mephisto Waltz" in the program in sociopolitical context, since Hungary assumes the EU presidency in 2011. I actually didn't have a problem with the inclusion of the "Mephisto Waltz" in the concert, even if it is sardonic, given the context of the Faust and Mephisto story. Plus, Johann II did write a waltz called "Mephistos Höllenrufe", so the inclusion of the Liszt wasn't that far off I also enjoyed hearing the unfamiliar "novelties", as I generally have over the last few NJK's with the Vienna Phil, and I didn't really consider them second-rate.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

The CD of FWM arrived today.

However it was the 1987 Hvk that I chose for my car journey to Kempton Park. Absolutety superb. One of those instances of music
      completely changng my mindset. I was feeling wretched after a crap week. I had forgotten just what a little masterpiece Spharenklange
      is and WHAT a rendition ! Barenboim totally outclassed in Annen Polka and a Delirien Waltz or surpassing warmth. Wow !

All very Herbert Von in its way and uniquely enjoyable. I now conclude even my biggest care of the week is but a piffling trifle.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Hi Alison, I hope your crap week didn't conclude with a big bet on Kauto to win.

I will never forget the 1987 Karajan NYDC as I bought my first video recorder specially for it. I was on cloud nine for weeks afterwards and played the recording endlessly. I listened to the 1954 concert tonight with Clemens Krauss also leading a very fine Spharenklange. In fact this 1954 concert is pure class despite the mono sound which actually isn't all that bad.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Unfortunately it did. Well, about the cost of an annual subscription to Gramophone. I occasionally have much larger investments !
          The atmosphere there was absolutely incredible. Its the first time I have even been to the King George.

Herbie had put me in such a good mood I honestly did care about losing a few quid.

What I would love to do one day would be to sample blind all my recordings of the Blue Danube to see which one
          would win a mini Alison BaL ! I know youre more of a Radetsky man - HVK fliiping good in that too !!

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            I know youre more of a Radetsky man
            Clemens Krauss in 1954 gives a super Radetsky March. There is a tremendous cheer from the audience when it begins necessitating a fresh start but there is no audience clapping during the music. Presumably that practice began in Boskovsky's time but I wonder when and why?

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Looks like I have another concert to catch up on !

Somebody should write a book on the New Year concerts.

The HvK is unusual (in my experience) in featuring a soloist; I'm rather pleased that
              tradition is observed.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Somebody should write a book on the New Year concerts.
                I wish someone would give us a book in English on the history of the VPO. Richard Osborne would be my ideal author.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

I have to admit I hope they retire Kauto , but they won't - I fear this small bleed is clutching at straws but Binocular was thrilling to see.

I was lucky enough to be at Kempton to see Kauto win in 2007 and 2009 ( and I would have gone on Boxing Day had the meeting not been abandoned ) and what a performance he produced that day - and to see him win the Gold Cup both times. If he somehow defies logic and comes back to win the Gold Cup again this year I expect to be crying my eyes out .

As for NYD concerts - Klieber and Karajan are hors concours

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

A free Saturday morning and - where do these ideas come from? - took down the DVD of this concert.

Rather written off by me as a low ranking NYDC I have thoroughly enjoyed it. The programme was notable for featuring few if any of the ‘big numbers’, other than the mandatory items, though now that seems a plus.

Some entrancing pieces on offer here: Reitermarsch, Donauweibchen, Muthig voran, Zigeunertanz.

The Josef items don’t disappoint either.

An enjoyable trawl through this thread too, some fine names from the past. Plenty of good info and items for further reading/listening.

BSP: your research powers are truly astonishing!

Altogether an enjoyable couple of hours before Record Review.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      I have to admit I hope they retire Kauto , but they won't - I fear this small bleed is clutching at straws but Binocular was thrilling to see.

I was lucky enough to be at Kempton to see Kauto win in 2007 and 2009 ( and I would have gone on Boxing Day had the meeting not been abandoned ) and what a performance he produced that day - and to see him win the Gold Cup both times. If he somehow defies logic and comes back to win the Gold Cup again this year I expect to be crying my eyes out .

As for NYD concerts - Klieber and Karajan are hors concours
                      Well I am glad I was so wrong about that Kauto's comeback to thrash Long Run in the 2011 Betfair Chase and King George were wonderful and remarkable and tears were shed.

So sad he had such a short and disputed retirement.

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        Well I am glad I was so wrong about that Kauto's comeback to thrash Long Run in the 2011 Betfair Chase and King George were wonderful and remarkable and tears were shed.

So sad he had such a short and disputed retirement.
                        Yes that was another footnote to the thread. So many thought Long Run was there to stay but the magic was brief looking back.

Has Clive Smith completely left the great game now? A sad retirement indeed.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Yes that was another footnote to the thread. So many thought Long Run was there to stay but the magic was brief looking back.

Has Clive Smith completely left the great game now? A sad retirement indeed.
                          I think so I do not think he came out of the retirement well . The film that came out of Kauto trying dressage was painful.

I was never that big a fan of Long Run his GC win flattered him as Denman was in decline, Kauto Star was not fully fit due having been ill after the King George and Imperial Commander went wrong coming down the hill when he was still on the bridle.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Glad you like the 2011 NYDC after a revisit, Alison. To be honest, 2011 was such an unhappy year, chez Petrushka, that I've no plans to be doing the same any time soon.

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Glad you like the 2011 NYDC after a revisit, Alison. To be honest, 2011 was such an unhappy year, chez Petrushka, that I've no plans to be doing the same any time soon.
                              Ah thanks Pet and sorry to remind you of unhappier times. I see that three of my favourite items are based on themes from the operetta Simplicius; it may be worth tracking down the FWM DVD of the same. There is still the sense of slight languor in the conducting every now and then yet I feel I wrote off this concert too readily at the time.

Similarly Ive enjoyed the 2018 Muti on DVD more than I did on the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X