X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
    I make it four: three first violins (including one on front desk) and one harp.
    Four?? And one on the FRONT desk???

It's worse than I thought. We're all doomed.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
      My first thought exactly - the same word came to mind.
      I think they've warmed up in the 2nd half: a little hung over at the beginning...?

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Four?? And one on the FRONT desk???
        The ladies seem to be camouflaged to look like blokes.

Comment

• lordmhoram

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          I think they've warmed up in the 2nd half: a little hung over at the beginning...
          Yes, I thought the second half had a bit more sparkle. The Blue Danube was excellent.

I always particularly look forward to the danced numbers, and I thought the inclusion of the young performers from the ballet school in the Blue Danube was a masterstroke - particularly when they came into the main auditorium: the two threads of the event finally coming together in a very satisfying way.

(I've never seen Franz Welser-Most before: he reminded me of someone, and it finally came to me - Bamber Gascoigne!)

Comment

• Freddie Campbell

...Well he was as efficient as Bamber Gasgoigne! And the whole Show was tight & well Played.
            I liked the Ballet- would have enjoyed a few Horses from the Spanish Riding School- but that
            Hall-SO elaborate & ornate- certainly know how to present a Concert in Vienna...

Comment

• hmvman
              • Mar 2007

As ever, it was an enjoyable way to start the New Year although I did think Welser-Most a bit staid especially when compared with Pretre's twinkle-eyed panache!

I listened to the TV sound through my hi-fi and I was a bit disappointed that during Petroc Trelawny's intros the sound atmosphere of the hall was faded out almost completely leaving his voice in a dead acoustic. Presumably he was situated in a sound-proof box somewhere - maybe not even in the hall. I don't think it's been like that in previous years.

Anyway, good entertainment. Happy New Year to you all!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                As ever, it was an enjoyable way to start the New Year .... during Petroc Trelawny's intros the sound atmosphere of the hall was faded out almost completely leaving his voice in a dead acoustic. Presumably he was situated in a sound-proof box somewhere...
                Agreed with all of the above: something a bit sanitised about the whole presentation this year. I find it a poor reflection on our national commitment to being part of Europe that the German of the pieces' titles is Anglicised by the presenter (although ORF's German titles were on screen for the tv) - and somehow the atmosphere gets lost in the process. I could have wished for Martin Handley or Jonathan Swain at the R3 mike.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  Agreed with all of the above: something a bit sanitised about the whole presentation this year. I find it a poor reflection on our national commitment to being part of Europe that the German of the pieces' titles is Anglicised by the presenter (although ORF's German titles were on screen for the tv) - and somehow the atmosphere gets lost in the process. I could have wished for Martin Handley or Jonathan Swain at the R3 mike.
                  Agree with the Kernel. I did wonder if PT was in Vienna at all. I suppose the job can be done from a studio in London in front of the TV relay.
                  The concert fulfilled all expectations and showed the difference made by having a conductor with this music in his bones. My only gripe was the Liszt Mephisto Waltz which felt out of place here but then I've never cared for Liszt.

Incidentally, Donauweibchen was included by Mehta (in 1990, I think). Once again, the pieces by Josef showed him to be the finest composer on the programme.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    I did wonder if PT was in Vienna at all. I suppose the job can be done from a studio in London in front of the TV relay.
                    Well if he was in London he did a very convincing job of pretending that he was in Vienna: all those references to cake and so on. But your point is well made, Petrushka, and perhaps if it weren't for BBC2 that's what would be happening - indeed may well happen on 1.1.12!

Comment

• StephenO

A particularly enjoyable NY concert this year IMO and might I say I think Petroc did a excellent job?! I always listen rather than watch as I'm not keen on the dancers, horses, close ups of flowers, etc, but I'm probably in the minority.

Welser-Most seems to have Johann Strauss in his blood. He certainly caught the spirit the waltz and the VPO were excellent as always. I've only seen FWM once a couple of years ago when he conducted a magnificent performace of Mahler 2 at Symphony Hall with Bernarda Fink and the Cleveland Orchestra. Stunning!

Comment

• John Wright
                        • Mar 2007

How common is mention of 'sponsor' on Radio 3?

Petroc mentioned Rolex at least twice. Informed comment here:

- - -

John W

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

The BBC advertises digital radios every day, without being brand specific.

Comment

• Freddie Campbell

...I imagine they are obliged to mention Sponsors though...

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

I noticed that the name also appeared on the final roll credits - just - as it was instantly edited. I wonder whether it will appear on this evening's repeat transmission on BBC 4, 19.00-21.00 hrs, but I may record the extended programme as I also want to see the Morecambe and Wise programmes on BBC 2. Otherwise, Franz Welser-Most seems to have won many hearts and minds in Vienna. Hugely enjoyable.

Comment

• verismissimo
                                • Nov 2010

I thought FWM did a good job, without the special something that some conductors bring to this sort of occasion. I've enjoyed everything I've heard and seen of him in recent years.

Why was he so maltreated by the LPO? Was it his youth and inexperience? Or was he over-presumptuous in some way? Orchestral musicians can be extremely cruel. Maybe they just got him on the run.

Comment

Working...
                                X