X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

New Year's Day Concert 2011

Really looking forward to this one. I've been saying for several years that Franz Welser-Most is the right man for this event. He has a real feel for the music of the Strauss family as evidenced by a recording with the LPO years ago.

No Frankly-Worse-Than-Most jokes please. I expect this to be the best NYDC since Carlos Kleiber.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

The programme looks quite exciting. Quite a few works I don't immediately recognise from the titles.

Though I have adored both Pretre concerts I fancy this will be something quite special. Idiomatic and all that.

ANY NEWS ON NEXT YEAR'S CONDUCTOR ?

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Franz Welser-Most
      I see he is also the conductor of Don Giovanni, to be broadcast the evening of January 1st.

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        I expect this to be the best NYDC since Carlos Kleiber.
        Brave words, Petrushka! That concert is one of my most treasured musical memories. Best since, possibly...we'll find out in a couple of days time......but never as good as!
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

You know I have a really soft spot for the Vienna Philharmonic putting on this fantastic concert and broadcasting it live every year on my birthday.

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

What’s happened to Brian Kay?

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
              What’s happened to Brian Kay?
              You mean he's gone ? It was his only gig of the year.

God bless Brian Kay.

Comment

• doversoul1
                Ex Member
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                You mean he's gone ? It was his only gig of the year.

God bless Brian Kay.
                One of the trailers said something about the New Year’s Day concert presented by Petroc Trelawny. I thought I’d mis-heard it but I hadn’t.

Franz Welser-Most conducts the Vienna Philharmonic at Vienna's Musikverein.

I always thought it was Brian Kay’s programme…

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                  One of the trailers said something about the New Year’s Day concert presented by Petroc Trelawny. I thought I’d mis-heard it but I hadn’t.

Franz Welser-Most conducts the Vienna Philharmonic at Vienna's Musikverein.

I always thought it was Brian Kay’s programme…
                  Oh lordy! Much as I am not a fan of Brian Kay's style, Petroc brings me out in hives

Please could we give Sir Terence of the Wogan a go one year? He did wonders for Eurovision, and after all this concert is very similar

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    The programme looks quite exciting.
                    Presumably it's all Mozart - I'm sure the concert programme planners would be only too pleased to fit in with the Radio3 'theme'.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Oh lordy! Much as I am not a fan of Brian Kay's style, Petroc brings me out in hives

Please could we give Sir Terence of the Wogan a go one year? He did wonders for Eurovision, and after all this concert is very similar
                      Oh dear, not this again. Can't we leave it untl after the broadcast, before we sling yet more mud at every conceivable presenter?

Comment

• Chris Newman
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Coming quickly back to Franz W-M, I recall at the time he fell out big-time with the LPO he conducted a scintillating Viennese Night at the Proms where he had the whole audience truly in the palm of his hand and Felicity Lott in his arms. The LPO sounded like the VPO and towards the end of the concert players were looking ruefully at each other as if to say "Oh, whoops! What have we done? Perhaps we were wrong." I have a DVD of a Strauss Opera "Simplicitus" at Zurich Opera and F W-M is magnificent. He has that Straussian charm that only Barbirolli, Carlos Kleiber and Pretre had.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

I shall be sitting with my bottle of bubbly next to the wireless, and enjoying the sound of all the Neujahrsschmalz!

Tho' I regret the absence of B. Kay, I regret even more the demise of the feed of the ORF announcer's presentation in his Austrian accented German, and his farewell in a dozen or so languages. The presentation was echt-European in those days, and has become rather bland.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

He has that Straussian charm that only Barbirolli, Carlos Kleiber and Pretre had.
                            I know Barbirolli's Viennese Proms were popular, but I found his Johann Strauss rather sluggish.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Thankfully I wont be listening. Not much of a Strauss Family fan!!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X