X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    rule 1...trust you own eyes and ears.(on music, politics, or anything).
    I am sure that people reviewing this type of event are paragons of virtue,(as these are high profile affairs) but reviewers /critics/reporters aren't even always at the event they are supposed to be reviewing!
    Always interesting to hear the views of a trusted critic , of course.
    anyway, the discussion on this thread has certainly been great stuff, and the enthusiasm infectious...sharing the joy of the music is just so important.
    lord only knows when we will next get a Bruckner symphony round this way !But my Bruckner journey is only just, belatedly, starting, so I can hardly complain.
    Great news is, I am waking up each day itching to hear more...what a great feeling that is !!
    Almost 40 years since hearing my first Bruckner synphony I still wake up each morning itching to hear more. Good luck on your journey, TS, this music will stay with you for the rest of your life. I have been so incredibly lucky to have caught so many live Bruckner performances in the concert hall from the likes of Karajan, Haitink, Wand, Solti, Abbado, Jochum, Barenboim and Tennstedt. Great times, great memories.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Yes, as my mood changes hour by hour I keep thinking back to little
      snippets of Sundays performance which mirror back musically how I am feeling.

A feeling of consolation is never far away.

I find the Scherzo especially resourceful in this respect !
      Last edited by Alison; 23-05-12, 22:26.

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Heavens, Alison, yes, that's almost worse isn't it? "Struggle" and "confusion", in the finale of No.5?! Dear me...
        We've discussed the problems of critical vocabulary elsewhere, but with these comments on Bruckner there's a readymade terminology applied to the wrong music, as if no fresh, original listening had even taken place. Why haven't they read - or understood - Dr. Simpson? He got to the heart of things rather a long time ago...
        I must say I thought the Times review expressed much enthusiasm for the performance and that his description of the work was at least largely acceptable and helpful to one who wasn't there.

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Poor PJPJ. I can tell you're kicking yourself.

Perhaps you could make amends with one of the forthcoming LSO/Haitink concerts.

Not that, ever since my musical childhood, has there any been anything quite like the Concertgebouw and Haitink !

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            Almost 40 years since hearing my first Bruckner synphony I still wake up each morning itching to hear more. Good luck on your journey, TS, this music will stay with you for the rest of your life. I have been so incredibly lucky to have caught so many live Bruckner performances in the concert hall from the likes of Karajan, Haitink, Wand, Solti, Abbado, Jochum, Barenboim and Tennstedt. Great times, great memories.
            Thanks Petrushka. Sometimes you have to make your own luck.. as you obviously have !! You have to take the chances when they come along............
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• PJPJ
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              Poor PJPJ. I can tell you're kicking yourself.

Perhaps you could make amends with one of the forthcoming LSO/Haitink concerts.

Not that, ever since my musical childhood, has there any been anything quite like the Concertgebouw and Haitink !
              One of the last concerts I attended was in the Concertgebouw - Bruckner 3 with Jansons. Unfortunately, I'm not able to get to concerts or the theatre any longer, which is very tedious - hence my enthusiasm for the best possible sound from R3. I'd be at BH's next concerts like a shot otherwise!

Comment

• Prommer
                • Dec 2010

Even the coughing between movements on Sunday was brief and then all was very quickly quiet again. The pauses between movements were unusually short, partly as a result!

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                  One of the last concerts I attended was in the Concertgebouw - Bruckner 3 with Jansons. Unfortunately, I'm not able to get to concerts or the theatre any longer, which is very tedious - hence my enthusiasm for the best possible sound from R3. I'd be at BH's next concerts like a shot otherwise!
                  You have my sympathy PJPJ as I have been unable to get to theatres, concerts or anything much for some years now. That's why these boards are so essential [to use an 'in' word] to people like us. Best wishes.

Comment

• PJPJ
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                    You have my sympathy PJPJ as I have been unable to get to theatres, concerts or anything much for some years now. That's why these boards are so essential [to use an 'in' word] to people like us. Best wishes.
                    And best wishes to you, too, salymap - thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X