X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prommer
    • Dec 2010

Concertgebouw Bruckner 5:, c. Haitink at the Barbican

This is on Sunday afternoon (ie tomorrow). I shall be there. Again, will anyone be recording it for issue? No sign of Radio 3 I think.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

I will be there and am hugely looking forward to it. Inflexible Radio 3 wouldn't be likely to broadcast live on a Sunday afternoon - mucks the schedules up!

A fortnight ago the Barbican box office rang me to ask if I would change seats as Princess Maxima of the Netherlands and her security wanted to attend!
    As I'd booked mine in February 2011 I wasn't exactly thrilled but the alternative seat offered was fine. Nothing like that has happened to me before!
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Prommer
      • Dec 2010

Petrushka, you should have agreed on condition that you be placed next to her - she is not unfragrant, as m'lud would have said. Presumably in town due to the royal knees-up of yesterday at Windsor Castle. Doing her bit to support the home team while they are playing away...

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
        Petrushka, you should have agreed on condition that you be placed next to her - she is not unfragrant, as m'lud would have said. Presumably in town due to the royal knees-up of yesterday at Windsor Castle. Doing her bit to support the home team while they are playing away...
        As I had the best seat in the house , Circle A40, I felt like refusing to move but didn't want to find myself blacklisted at the Barbican. It's not every day one gets booted out by a member of the Dutch Royal Family.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          As I had the best seat in the house , Circle A40, I felt like refusing to move but didn't want to find myself blacklisted at the Barbican. It's not every day one gets booted out by a member of the Dutch Royal Family.
          I hope you insisted on gratis organic ice creams for all your party, Petrushka

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            I hope you insisted on gratis organic ice creams for all your party, Petrushka
            Party of one, Am51. My seat now is perfectly acceptable so no great fuss really. Keenly anticipating Haitink in Bruckner 5 again. I heard him with the Concertgebouw at the 1980 Proms and with the VPO a few years ago. You don't get much better than this.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              Party of one, Am51. My seat now is perfectly acceptable so no great fuss really. Keenly anticipating Haitink in Bruckner 5 again. I heard him with the Concertgebouw at the 1980 Proms and with the VPO a few years ago. You don't get much better than this.
              There was one seat left this morning in the balcony at £15 (bargain!) so I put in my bid only for the s*dding bank to decline my card - end of the month y'see

I hope it's a great concert - I saw Haitink & VPO 'do' Bruckner symphony no 8 at RFH years ago & have not forgotten it. Surely Her Knibs has seen Haitink AND RCO many times before - maybe you could invite her to return the favour next time you're in Amsterdam, Petrushka
              Last edited by Guest; 19-05-12, 19:06. Reason: trypo

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Yes, I shall be there. Sunday afternoon is such a congenial time for a concert !

Taking a neighbour who has borrowed some CDs of Bruckner and fancies giving it a go.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  There was one seat left this morning in the balcony at £15 (bargain!) so I put in my bid only for the s*dding bank to decline my card - end of the month y'see
                  Awfully early end of the month, ams.

Perhaps Maxima would be persuaded to give up her seat to you - you know, one queen doing another a favour

Comment

• Prommer
                    • Dec 2010

Totally agree Alison. I hate going out on Sunday nights as the black dog descends... But Sunday afternoon is comme il faut.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                      Awfully early end of the month, ams.
                      Always a lot of month left at the end of the money I find.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
                        This is on Sunday afternoon (ie tomorrow). I shall be there. Again, will anyone be recording it for issue? No sign of Radio 3 I think.
                        I attended the performance of Bruckner 5/Haitink/Concertgebouw orchestra in the Amsterdam concertgebouw last Wednesday (May 16th).
                        A superb performance, with the tension building up to the climax in the finale.
                        Especially the first hornplayer was superb (and the whole of the brass section, I must add, in this hellish score especially in the finale), and Haitink actually pointed at him to take a bow before the whole of the orchestra did so.
                        The oboist was excellent too, even though it was not perfect (I guess by moisture in the insturment).
                        Remarkable: the orchestra sounds different with Haitink, I'd like to say the "old" Concertgebouw sound before Chailly and now Janssons took the helm.

If you can, take your chance. IMO not to be missed!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Would the Dutch radio be there tro broadcast? Radio 4 isn't it, over there?
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Prommer
                            • Dec 2010

Roehre, regard me as suitably appetised... Thanks for the report!

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

Me too ! What a shame Mr Haitink ever left the Concertgebouw !

Comment

Working...
                              X