X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alf-Prufrock
    • Sep 2024

Elder's Das Lied von der Erde

I can find no comment on this. Was it so bad then, you Mahler fanatics?
  • amateur51

You'll have to give me a clue, Alf

Comment

• kuligin
      • Nov 2010

It was very well received in the hall, I had some mixed feelings, Cleveman in particular was very good , helped perhaps by the new orchestration of the first song, however I did not feel justice was done to the heart of the work, the last song, even though the orchestra were magnificent (particularly woodwind and horns) and Coote sang without any sign of strain but something was missing

Perhaps I have listened to Bruno Walter/ Kathleen Ferrier too much but the last soing in some way felt both too rushed and yet at the same time dragged.

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        You'll have to give me a clue, Alf
        Yesterday evening, Thursday, Radio 3 broadcast a concert from Manchester in which Sir Mark conducted the Halle in a performance of Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde, preceded by Mozart's 25th. I was struck that no Mahlerian had given advance notice of this or deigned to comment on it. Since the soloists included Alice Coote and the first movement had received some re-orchestration, I had thought there was enough to get the aficionados buzzing. In fact, I should have liked to read some discussion from people more au fait than I about the need for re-orchestration and its effects.

But, as I implied, there was a thundering silence.

Comment

• Sapere Aude

Originally posted by Alf-Prufrock View Post
          ... preceded by Mozart's 25th.

(Mozart 40)

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

I heard the first 4 songs but somehow I wasn't in the mood but it did make me think how difficult it must be to sing since the vocal line often has little to latch on to in the orchestra to help the singer stay in tune.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Alf-Prufrock View Post
              Yesterday evening, Thursday, Radio 3 broadcast a concert from Manchester in which Sir Mark conducted the Halle in a performance of Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde, preceded by Mozart's 25th. I was struck that no Mahlerian had given advance notice of this or deigned to comment on it. Since the soloists included Alice Coote and the first movement had received some re-orchestration, I had thought there was enough to get the aficionados buzzing. In fact, I should have liked to read some discussion from people more au fait than I about the need for re-orchestration and its effects.

But, as I implied, there was a thundering silence.
              Cheers, Alf - I'll try to catch it on iPlayer

Comment

• Tevot
                • Nov 2010

In many respects I agree with Kuligin and gradus above. Indeed I found Der Abschied at times curiously detached from what had gone on before. The preceding songs to me were much more immediate and engaging.
                I'll certainly give it another listen though.

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

Originally posted by Sapere Aude View Post
                  (Mozart 40)
                  Yes, sorry about the error. I heard the 25th in another concert and didn't hear the 40th in Elder's, though I did hear the Mahler.

I agree that the performance seemed to be in two halves, the first five movements very different from the sixth; but then, I suppose Mahler wanted a difference. Alice Coote had to sing out more in the Bridgewater Hall than perhaps was ideal. But I was impressed by the tenor, a man I've never heard before called Lars Cleveman. He seemed much less of a bawling idiot than usual.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Could someone please enlighten me regarding the 're-orchestration' of the first movement? Admittedly, it is a tough sing for the tenor and Mahler would in all probability have revised it had he lived longer but I'm not sure someone should be tinkering with it just to make life a bit easier. I missed the concert but don't feel the need to catch it on i-player.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Sapere Aude

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      Could someone please enlighten me regarding the 're-orchestration' of the first movement? Admittedly, it is a tough sing for the tenor and Mahler would in all probability have revised it had he lived longer but I'm not sure someone should be tinkering with it just to make life a bit easier. I missed the concert but don't feel the need to catch it on i-player.

Most things are just like in the original. The texture is lighter here and there, to allow the singer to be heard in a concert hall. Nothing outrageous from my point of view. Most people wouldn't even be aware of any changes.

Comment

• austin

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        Could someone please enlighten me regarding the 're-orchestration' of the first movement?
                        This might help......
                        Last night, the Hallé premiered a new version of Das Lied von der Erde . Better put, they played a version of the first song, re-orchestra...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by austin View Post
                          This might help......
                          http://tinyurl.com/cean89q
                          Thanks for the link - and having listened again, have to agree with Mr Plumley's assessment. I'm not surprised: Colin Mathews did a similar dilution when orchestrating Debussy's "Feux D'Artifice", resulting in a damp squib.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

And as the RT says the concert was to celebrate the centenary of Kathleen Ferrier's birth, also the 50th anniversary of the singer's last performance with the Halle of this work.

I'm another one who missed the concert, I'm afraid.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by austin View Post
                              This might help......
                              http://tinyurl.com/cean89q
                              Many thanks, austin. Given the proviso that I haven't heard the concert I side with Gavin Plumley on this one.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X