X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Sarah Walker's programme on Eric Satie.

This is super. Well worth checking out the pictures on the website.
  • sigolene euphemia

Pastoralguy,

O~thank you. The photos are wonderful as I listen to the busy cafe.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

She clearly enjoyed making it. While you're at it, why not check out her own (non-BBC) personal website? There's an item re. the Satie programme in her blog there, and her ideas on encouraging creativity in the young might well be of some interest to at least some here.
      Last edited by Bryn; 27-12-10, 12:50. Reason: Update.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Haven't listened yet, but it was my pick for 'Now iPlaying'. The kind of serendipitously fascinating stuff we're starved of on today's cash-strapped R3. Enjoyable enlightenment.

Edit: Correction, I meant 'Now iPlaying', not 'Looking ahead'. What's good is that you feel the whole thing has been put together lovingly by someone/people enthused by their subject. The trick is to enthuse others by the content, not by leaping up and down excitedly
        Last edited by french frank; 27-12-10, 12:15.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          This is super. Well worth checking out the pictures on the website.
          Listening right now - too dim to find the pictures on the website. Could some kind soul please direct me.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

It is really quite absurd, when you think about it, that this excellent, most enjoyable programme and that quiz programme belong to the same station.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
              Listening right now - too dim to find the pictures on the website. Could some kind soul please direct me.
              Scroll down the page http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wlg7h
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Many, many thanks, FF.
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Strongly agree with the OP - this is by far the best thing I've yet heard by SW on Radio 3: while revelling in the atmosphere to bring it to life she positively breathed the vestiges extant of Satie's Paris. The others' contributions filled out a previously incomplete picture of the man.

Well done, Sarah

S-A

Comment

• lordmhoram

Excellent programme - one of the best features on a single composer that I've heard in a long time.

I have great respect for Sarah Walker. I played at the Pianothon in Leeds last year: SW was hosting it, and at one point she sat down with Benjamin Frith and a couple of other pianists and sight-read a part in an 8-hand arrangement (can't remember what the work was, but the sight-reading was very impressive.)

Comment

Working...
                    X