X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Strauss' Four Last Songs - 16 Apr Essential Classics

Did anybody else listen to Richard Strauss' Four Last Songs performed by Lisa Larsson on R3, Essential Classics, Monday 16 April just after 11 am. A most impressive CV so why was I underwhelmed? Views from our lieder experts would be appreciated.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
    Did anybody else listen to Richard Strauss' Four Last Songs performed by Lisa Larsson on R3, Essential Classics, Monday 16 April just after 11 am. A most impressive CV so why was I underwhelmed? Views from our lieder experts would be appreciated.
    I'm no lieder expert but I know what I like to hit my ears. Too much wobbly vibrato, and a bit too much scooping - not the heavy in your face stuff which can ruin 4LS, but more of an annoying floating imprecise, insecure sound.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Yes - had me running back to Lisa della Casa !

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

No expert here but I've heard a few performances, know what I like ... and switched that performance off after one phrase from the singer who seemed to be sliding around near each note without ever settling on a single one. The sort of singing I simple can't listen to....
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          No expert here but I've heard a few performances, know what I like ... and switched that performance off after one phrase from the singer who seemed to be sliding around near each note without ever settling on a single one. The sort of singing I simple can't listen to....
          Maybe she's had masterclasses from Mariah Carey?

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            . . . the singer who seemed to be sliding around near each note without ever settling on a single one. . .
            Precisely what I thought, right from the word go - not to mention the flaky German In dämmrigen Grüften etc. Yep, Lisa Della Casa, Lucia Popp or Jessye Norman please!
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Precisely what I thought, right from the word go - not to mention the flaky German In dämmrigen Grüften etc. Yep, Lisa Della Casa, Lucia Popp or Jessye Norman please!
              Flott, Schwanewilms, Isokowski, Te Kanawa and Bonney (with piano acc)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Yep, Lisa Della Casa, Lucia Popp or Jessye Norman please!
                And Janowitz
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pianorak
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  And Janowitz
                  Indeed! How could I leave Gundula out!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Lisa Della Casa, Lucia Popp or Jessye Norman please!
                    Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    Flott, Schwanewilms, Isokowski, Te Kanawa and Bonney (with piano acc)
                    Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    And Janowitz
                    Interesting list... Many favourites; also a couple of blind-spots for me, those being Kanawa and Isokowski. I tried when the latter's recording came out, just not the sort of voice that appeals to me (q.v. what I'm about to write on the Kathleen Ferrier thread...). Just not for me.

As to the others, a friend and I did a private 'BAL' using all the recordings we collectively owned (about 15 in all.. I think I wrote about this on another thread some time ago, or maybe on the old R3 boards). Della Casa, Popp, Norman, Schwarzkopf (both), Janowitz all came out with honour and pleasure of course, but with variable success in terms of balance with the orchestra, playing etc... (Bonney with piano is sui generis and gorgeous )

But the recording which emerged the all-round 'winner' in our living-room BAL was, as you mention, Cloughie, Flott: stunning singing, wonderful, full, airy Chandos recording and sumptuous playing

And I have a private passion .... The recording by the little-known (I think) Elisabeth Meyer-Topsøe with the Copenhagen Philharmonic. Seems unlikely doesn't it? It's generally very good... and there's one moment I keep going back to - the opening of "Im Abendrot". The way the colour of the voice and the swell of the orchestra conveys the contrast between suffering and joy in "durch Not und Freude", the word "Freude" opening out and giving me goose bumps ever time.

This is the disc (but the price on amazon is ludicrous)....

... but it's available on iTunes, you can buy each song separately for 99p a pop

I urge the discerning fans of the piece on this thread to give it a go, at least "Im Abendrot". What else can you get for 99p these days apart from chewing gum or a bar of Dairy Milk?
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Maybe she's had masterclasses from Mariah Carey?
                      Is she any relative of the former Archbish of Canterbury, currently stalking various law courts trying to convince them that Christians are being hard done by them

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        Is she any relative of the former Archbish of Canterbury, currently stalking various law courts trying to convince them that Christians are being hard done by them
                        Like her intonation, highly doubtful!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Janowitz and Ludwig!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Pianorak - please can you tell me more about Popp's interpretation? Amazon are offering it for £5.70 on a compilation disc:

R. Strauss: Vier letzte lieder (Four Last Songs), Daphe (closing scene), 12 Lieder (Red Line)
                            Richard Strauss | Format: Audio CD
                            Price: £5.70 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery.

Comment

• aeolium
                              • Nov 2010

RT, you can find examples of Popp singing the Vier letzte Lieder on youtube. There is an EMI Icon 7-CD set of Lucia Popp which is around £16 download and little more for the CDs and this includes the 4 last songs with Tennstedt conducting, as well as many other good things:

Comment

Working...
                              X