X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roehre
    • Jul 2024

BBC3 Blurp

Rob Cowan presents music for Easter Sunday including the first of a new season of Sunday Morning Bach Cantatas, starting with BVW 31 Der Himmel Lacht. Die Erde Jubilieret! . Other music includes Les Caractères de la Danse by Jean-Féry Rebel, Allah Akbar from Szymanowski's Songs of an Infatuated Muezzin, Six Chansons Grèques by Xenakis, for solo piano, and Vaughan Williams' Phantasy Quintet
    Here the announcement we are in for a series of Bach cantatas.
    But BWV 31 is the only piece for Easter. Haydn's Last Words is Good Friday music, played 2 days late therefore, while not one of the other pieces programmed has anything to do with Easter at all.

Blurp written by someone who doesn't know his ecclesiastical calendar but nevertheless pretends to, I'm afraid.

Edit:The Early Music Show has got it right
    Lucie Skeaping introduces a selection of early music for Easter, mixing popular compositions for Passiontide with some lesser-known works
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

the Blurp means that RC is dj'ing the cds on Easter Sunday - never read more into any BBC announcement than the minimal literal meanings of the words - however good to see that a regular series (? in proper seasonal order ?) of Bach Cantatas has re-appeared - if now only a fixed timing could be adopted (eg start of programme) I'd be spared the waffle of the rest of the morning.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      But BWV 31 is the only piece for Easter.
      And two separate mentions of BVW 31 there. Would that be Belgische Vereniging van Werktuigkundigen?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        And two separate mentions of BVW 31 there. Would that be Belgische Vereniging van Werktuigkundigen?

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
          the Blurp means that RC is dj'ing the cds on Easter Sunday - never read more into any BBC announcement than the minimal literal meanings of the words - however good to see that a regular series (? in proper seasonal order ?) of Bach Cantatas has re-appeared - if now only a fixed timing could be adopted (eg start of programme) I'd be spared the waffle of the rest of the morning.
          If you are that sensitive to the RC chat there's always iplayer!

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

The site is not clever anyway. It is headed Music for Easter Sunday. What is presumably meant is "this is Easter Sunday, and this is what you're going to get!".

Note that each item has the word Performers (plural) even if there is only one - e.g Performers: Lang Lang (maybe the XSLT/XML processing or whatever thought this represented 2 performers ! ), Performers : Alexander Melkinov etc.

Really wouldn't have been too difficult to at least get that right!

Comment

• JFLL
              • Jan 2011

Here the announcement we are in for a series of Bach cantatas.
              But no indication of the time at which the cantata is to be broadcast! This business of having hours-long catch-all programmes with tantalizing trails but no timings is a real pain of today's R3. I know there's a playlist on the programme website, but you've got to work out the time from that, not easy in a three-hour programme. It looks to me from that as though it might be on about 9.30, but who knows? It's to be Koopman in BWV 31, btw.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Blurp written by someone who doesn't know his ecclesiastical calendar ...
                ... or check his spelling. Later on Tannhäuser is umlautless.

Also, the Seven Last Words appear to be "Wordless", since they are only giving us the five minute Introduction.

Comment

• Pegleg
                  • Apr 2012

Maybe this should have been given the title "Music on Easter Sunday" rather than "for Easter Sunday". But it's about what I expect now we are in the common era, I'm impressed they even picked the right cantata. Just one date day out from the 1724 performance which is recorded as 9th April (but which calander is that based on?) Any guesses how often the resurrection gets mentioned during the rest of the day?

Not wishing to detract from R3, but the entire Koopman BWV 31 recording is on that tube place, so no need for guess work and now inane RC chatter with up I shall not put.

As to Haydn's "Seven Last Words of Our Saviour on the Cross" , that's definitely on my playlist for today. I only have the Laurence Equilbey recording on Naive, but I think a Jordi Savall performance is on the tube place.
                  Last edited by Pegleg; 06-04-12, 18:04.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pegleg View Post
                    ...(but which calander is that based on?)
                    the spring Lark's ? - other than Britain and Greece rest of Europe was on the Gregorian Calendar

Comment

• Pegleg
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                      the spring Lark's ? - other than Britain and Greece rest of Europe was on the Gregorian Calendar
                      True, why was I thinking of UK pre 1752? Anyway, the brains too fuddled to care about the countries who started the year on 1st Jan long before officially adopting the Gregorian calendar and what is an accurate list for 1724. It's time to switch the radio on.

Comment

Working...
                      X