VERDI REQUIEM Live tonight from the Barbican........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

VERDI REQUIEM Live tonight from the Barbican........

Gergiev conducts the Marinsky Orchestra, Chorus, and members of the Soloists of St Petersburg chamber Ensemble. 7.30pm on R3. Victoria Yastrebova, soprano, Olga Borodina,mezzo, Sergei Semishkur, tenor, Lidar Abdrazakov, bass
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

The exhausting circus moves on. Do they ever go home?

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      The exhausting circus moves on. Do they ever go home?
      I thought this was a very moving performance - and it is no secret that I am not normally a Gergiev fan.

Particularly impressed by the gorgeous voice of Vittoria Yastrebova; a beautiful "liquid" quality. A great pity that she failed to reach that high note at the end, but she was not the first and will not be the last, to fall at that final hurdle.

I've always felt that Verdi's writing for the tenor soloist is less than helpful, but I thought he coped well, although sounding a little hysterical at times (Don't they all?)

For me, an enjoyable evening.

HS

Comment

• Richard J.
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
        I thought this was a very moving performance - and it is no secret that I am not normally a Gergiev fan.
        Me too. I particularly liked the way the performance was shaped and paced by Gergiev. I thought the female soloists were very good. The tenor went a bit astray at times. Yes, maybe Verdi's writing for the tenor is "less than helpful", but I'm used to the young Pavarotti on Solti's recording, and he seemed to manage. :-)

Must listen again on the i-player, as I had local distractions at times tonight.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
          • Mar 2007

I was there this evening. For someone who isn't great in Verdi (2001 Kirov residency at Covent Garden, anyone?), Gergiev is extremely good in the Requiem, dramatic and reflective by turn. The woodwind detail he brought out in the Agnus Dei was remarkable.

Soloists were variable. Borodina is simply a force of nature and although she's not got the top notes any more, hers is still an incredibly powerful instrument. Mr Borodina (Ildar Abdrazakov) was superb - what a great bass voice and sadly underused at Covent Garden. Sergey Semishkur was tentative approaching high notes and took a few awkward breaths just before them, although his is an attractive tenor. Viktoria Yastrebova was one of the Flowermaidens in Parsifal last night and although on the lighter side than Verdi intended (the part was written for Teresa Stolz, the first Aida), she coped admirably; a lovely tone, not dissimilar to Marina Poplavskaya, but smaller. Yes, the two octave leap in the 'Libera me' nearly did for her and there wasn't the terrifying drama in the 'Tremends factus' section that Pops brought to last year's stunning Prom under Bychkov, but nicely done.

And what a chorus - so good to hear an opera chorus in full cry in this work!
          Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I recorded the Verdi REquiem on my TV disc but the result was very disappointing. It was either inaudible or much too loud, and after a bit I gave up. I'm sure the performance was as good as you all say but my recording, combined with a degree of tinnitus wrecked it. However, I shall try iPlayer tomorrow.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
              And what a chorus - so good to hear an opera chorus in full cry in this work!
              yes I thought that, and only 58 in number I think the announcer said, which must surely break some record for the smallest Verdi Requiem chorus (?). An opera chorus somehow seems more appropriate for this work.
              Last edited by mercia; 05-04-12, 18:37.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

I hope tpo catch thisover the weekend! looking forward to this, especial;ly as the moments I did hear, it sounded rather good!!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Resurrection Man

I had this recorded and initially put it on in the background. After just a few minutes, had to stop work and just listen. I thought the soloists were superb and the two females exquisite. One of 'those' concerts one wishes one were at.

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                    One of 'those' concerts one wishes one were at.
                    I agree, it must have been a great occasion in the hall.
                    I downloaded it from iPlayer and burned it to cd. Managed to squeeze it on 1 disc with 34 seconds of overburn.
                    It is a fine performance and, although there are some moments that would have been subject to re-takes for a commercial recording, I will happily return to it again.

Comment

Working...
                    X